Finally tried a crossplane R1...

so i'm just gonna say where's the write up...then the fun begins

Yes

The only reason I could see it not a commuter bike is the riding position, as for some is uncomfortable. I LOVE IT! Rode 400 miles sunday up and around Mt Rainer. While 400 miles isn't much for mileage, it was along time in the saddle as we left at 8AM and returned at 5PM, with maybe a total of 2 hours in stops for food and fuel. It was a lot of slow moving cars and slow speed for a lot of the road. That will kill you really fast. I felt fine, rear got a little sore near the end, plus the 100+ temp didn't help much.

Overall I find the bike to be awesome with the low end power. It is super manageable with a steady throttle hand and can the ridden in low rpm's with ease. The bike is an utter beast when you get into the rpm range as well

First off at 6'5 I'm too tall for any supersport really ZX14 included.
My knees hit the fairings which is incredibly irritating while riding.
The clutch grabs weird on take off it almost feels like starting a truck in 3rd gear even when in first. (lots of complaints online of this)
The way it was hyped about having v twin pull low and I4 power up top I expected a monster that was impossible to keep the front down on. Not the case at all.
The throttle is extremely touchy. (dont know if I'd call it throttle snatch for sure but very finicky)
I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired for a supersport.
To me a supersport should be a track ready bike off the showroom floor and I don't think this is it.

Obviously not all that is relevant to the "Crossplane" engine but I don't care for that gen R1

First off at 6'5 I'm too tall for any supersport really ZX14 included.
My knees hit the fairings which is incredibly irritating while riding.
The clutch grabs weird on take off it almost feels like starting a truck in 3rd gear even when in first. (lots of complaints online of this)
The way it was hyped about having v twin pull low and I4 power up top I expected a monster that was impossible to keep the front down on. Not the case at all.
The throttle is extremely touchy. (dont know if I'd call it throttle snatch for sure but very finicky)
I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired for a supersport.
To me a supersport should be a track ready bike off the showroom floor and I don't think this is it.

Obviously not all that is relevant to the "Crossplane" engine but I don't care for that gen R1

you obviously have very misinformed expectations of what super sports are supposed to be and how they are. new gen R1 needs a flash, pipes, rearsets, suspension build and then its done, race ready.

you obviously have very misinformed expectations of what super sports are supposed to be and how they are. new gen R1 needs a flash, pipes, rearsets, suspension build and then its done, race ready.

I dunno the new R1 seems very finicky compared to every other SS Ive ridden. Which is a few not just the R1.
I know they can ALL be improved for the track but I feel like the FZ would make almost just as good as a track bike stock as the R1.
The guy that owns it told me I would be disappointed, he was right.
I wouldn't hesitate to take the zx14 in the shop to the track being the giant pig it is but wouldn't think of taking that R1

I dunno the new R1 seems very finicky compared to every other SS Ive ridden. Which is a few not just the R1.
I know they can ALL be improved for the track but I feel like the FZ would make almost just as good as a track bike stock as the R1.
The guy that owns it told me I would be disappointed, he was right.
I wouldn't hesitate to take the zx14 in the shop to the track being the giant pig it is but wouldn't think of taking that R1

here's where i disagree with ya, it still makes a much better track bike than the fz1 lol, especially if both have been flashed with stock everything else. guy that owns it, needs to send his ecu to get flashed, obviously i recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks because Nels has developed flashes for the R1's and most of them are racebikes aka dealing with the pickiest of the picky as far as making sure its a smooth powerful tune goes. it will turn that guys disappointment into a huge smile.

also the 14 is a fun bike at the track, it is heavy and just kinda goes where it wants to so you have to adjust your lines a bit haha

the closest to out of the box performance ready is the gsxr1000 and cbr1000 because they're the least limited by software, where as the R1 and ZX-10R, any Ducati or KTM, all are hit very hard by the software restrictions

It's all subjective, isn't it? I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that an FZ1 would even come close in lap times to an R1 if you put the same rider on both. On track, it surely would be no contest. On the street, it's entirely up to the rider

Im curious as to what year crossplane you rode? Did it have traction control and what mode was the throttle in?

the front on the R1 will easily get up with traction control down low SOOOO much easier than a fz1. Throttle is touchy if you don't know how to control it or its in A mode. standard or B mode and its no bad at all

The clutch, ya its rough to get used to at first. I don't even notice it now, but for first 200 miles it took quite a bit to get used to. Its an easy fix if the owner wishes to do so.

Overall, glad you enjoy your FZ1, but I do think the R1 is a more tuned sport bike out of the box. As Jared stated, some simple tuning and its a dream from what ive read.

It's all subjective, isn't it? I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that an FZ1 would even come close in lap times to an R1 if you put the same rider on both. On track, it surely would be no contest. On the street, it's entirely up to the rider

that differentiation of street and track is what some people have a hard time understanding lol " but my blah blah blah keeps up with blah blah blah" well thats you, not the bike lol some people don't realize a 250 has a higher corner speed than a 1000 in most places

Im curious as to what year crossplane you rode? Did it have traction control and what mode was the throttle in?

the front on the R1 will easily get up with traction control down low SOOOO much easier than a fz1. Throttle is touchy if you don't know how to control it or its in A mode. standard or B mode and its no bad at all

The clutch, ya its rough to get used to at first. I don't even notice it now, but for first 200 miles it took quite a bit to get used to. Its an easy fix if the owner wishes to do so.

Overall, glad you enjoy your FZ1, but I do think the R1 is a more tuned sport bike out of the box. As Jared stated, some simple tuning and its a dream from what ive read.

the R1's biggest downfall is the software restrictions, once flashed it's a whole new bike, much smoother, it's almost as great an improvement as a ducati (which is really bad off the showroom floor)

Once I can justify dropping nearly a grand for an exhaust, I will definitely get the bike flashed. I hear so much love about how it acts once flashed.

but damn are exhausts expensive for the R1

Truth told, I'd LOVE an R1, but I'm just too eff'n old for the ergos. Maybe if I could "de-monkey-phuck" the bike with the Spiegler handlebar conversion and some adjustable rearsets to lower and move them a little forward? But then you'd lose the lean-angle for the deep corners. I guess we can't have it both ways!

Once I can justify dropping nearly a grand for an exhaust, I will definitely get the bike flashed. I hear so much love about how it acts once flashed.

but damn are exhausts expensive for the R1

graves is the way to go on the r1's and so if you can, look for a used system. once you get that, get it flashed, and you'll have a baller of a bike

Truth told, I'd LOVE an R1, but I'm just too eff'n old for the ergos. Maybe if I could "de-monkey-phuck" the bike with the Spiegler handlebar conversion and some adjustable rearsets to lower and move them a little forward? But then you'd lose the lean-angle for the deep corners. I guess we can't have it both ways!

sadly no, thats why ya gotta have a dedicated track bike! thats what i do lol except right now, i'm in between track bikes at the moment

here's where i disagree with ya, it still makes a much better track bike than the fz1 lol, especially if both have been flashed with stock everything else. guy that owns it, needs to send his ecu to get flashed, obviously i recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks because Nels has developed flashes for the R1's and most of them are racebikes aka dealing with the pickiest of the picky as far as making sure its a smooth powerful tune goes. it will turn that guys disappointment into a huge smile.

also the 14 is a fun bike at the track, it is heavy and just kinda goes where it wants to so you have to adjust your lines a bit haha

the closest to out of the box performance ready is the gsxr1000 and cbr1000 because they're the least limited by software, where as the R1 and ZX-10R, any Ducati or KTM, all are hit very hard by the software restrictions
He's selling it, he bought a 07 ZX14 and stretched it.

I'm sure the FZ cant touch the R1 I just dont like the odd clutch and finicky throttle of the stock bike, I feel like it would cause "ME" issues.

It was a low mileage 12 with a Coffman exhaust. Sounded good. I had it it Standard mode, it most definitely handles better than the fz, and yeah will pull the tire, I just expected to have to fight to keep it down hammering on it.

that differentiation of street and track is what some people have a hard time understanding lol " but my blah blah blah keeps up with blah blah blah" well thats you, not the bike lol some people don't realize a 250 has a higher corner speed than a 1000 in most places

the R1's biggest downfall is the software restrictions, once flashed it's a whole new bike, much smoother, it's almost as great an improvement as a ducati (which is really bad off the showroom floor)
I'll probably never know about a flashed Crossplane, I certainly wont be buying one :dontknow:
Also yeah I like her fz8 thru the corners better than my 1 no worries about grabbing too much throttle and walking the rear.

graves is the way to go on the r1's and so if you can, look for a used system. once you get that, get it flashed, and you'll have a baller of a bike

sadly no, thats why ya gotta have a dedicated track bike! thats what i do lol except right now, i'm in between track bikes at the moment
No track nearby here so no trackbike. BOO!

It was a low mileage 12 with a Coffman exhaust. Sounded good. I had it it Standard mode, it most definitely handles better than the fz, and yeah will pull the tire, I just expected to have to fight to keep it down hammering on it.

what was the traction control setting on? with mine all the way up, the front will think about lifting and then traction control kicks in. The TC is so smooth on the R1 that unless you see the light kick on, you wont even notice it backing off the power, it just feels like it doesn't have the power to lift the front. Second gear at about 6500rpm and snap open throttle to 100% will easily kick on my TC

what was the traction control setting on? with mine all the way up, the front will think about lifting and then traction control kicks in. The TC is so smooth on the R1 that unless you see the light kick on, you wont even notice it backing off the power, it just feels like it doesn't have the power to lift the front. Second gear at about 6500rpm and snap open throttle to 100% will easily kick on my TC
I had thought he had turned it off and I didn't bother to check it must've been on because I didn't see the light.
Guess that would explain the front not coming up like I had expected.
I'll have ti try it again and report back.

Last edited:
Back