Finally ordered a 16T front....

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I ordered from SAVE 30% ON ALL YAMAHA PARTS !!! the 2005 GEN I front sprocket and a new washer. Gen I part number 4XV-17460-00-00. I wanted to keep the rubber intact so I kept it OEM. The two parts was just under $30 with shipping. Could have got it cheaper with some aftermarket stuff but.... :D

I'll figure out the speedo error using the GPS at 40, 60 and 75, the three speeds around here that will get you in trouble. I plan on using the GoPro HD to record in the same shot the GPS and the panel and make sustained speed runs of about 1 - 2 miles per. Then, I'll come back and watch the video, note the differences and use the label maker at work with 1/4" tape to write them to place inconspicuously on the dash someplace.

One more mod about to be checked off! :D

Last edited:
I like your approach to "fixing" the speedometer... but... odometer is another story.... if you plan on keeping the bike until it can't move anymore... that's no big deal... but if you're ever thinking of selling... you might want a speedo-healer....

I don't have one... but I'm gonna rock mine until the wheels fall off... then... I'll bolt a rear wheel back on, and turn it into a unicycle.

Of course their all over ebay for a buck fourteen with free shipping, but thats a chunk to do if you can get by without, but VA's comment on the mileage piling up on the odometer is a good one to think about.

Slightly off in another galaxy,.....sorry to hijack this thread......The thing in the comment about "until it can't move anymore"..... it seems the one thing on a motor rebuild is the ?nikasil? bores, and not boring them but cleaning the glaze instead.... can you have them re-something'd ? or do you have to get a new case/cylinders??
I like your approach to "fixing" the speedometer... but... odometer is another story.... if you plan on keeping the bike until it can't move anymore... that's no big deal... but if you're ever thinking of selling... you might want a speedo-healer....

I don't have one... but I'm gonna rock mine until the wheels fall off... then... I'll bolt a rear wheel back on, and turn it into a unicycle.

I'm not sure that Nikasil is used in the FZ1 engine. I've not seen it listed. It is based on the R1 engine and the R1 and R6 both have the coating. It's expensive so it may not be used in the FZ1 to keep the cost down? Don't know...

But, yes, you can have the cylinders bored and sleeved with Nikasil coated walls. :D

Speedo healer v4 installation on gen11 Fz1

Does anyone have any info , pictures ,installation details times wiring problems etc on fitting v4 speedo healer on 2007 FZ1 .Would also be interested in percentage settings once installed . Would be grateful for any help given on this subject as i am fitting a 16 tooth front sprocket soon . CHEERS !!

Does anyone have any info , pictures ,installation details times wiring problems etc on fitting v4 speedo healer on 2007 FZ1 .Would also be interested in percentage settings once installed . Would be grateful for any help given on this subject as i am fitting a 16 tooth front sprocket soon . CHEERS !!

Don't have any pictures or installation detail, but from what I've heard it's pretty straight forward. I believe that the speed sensor connector that you tap into is under the gas tank. There is no cutting involved as you simply disconnect the speed sensor harness and then plug it into the SpeedoHealer harness. As for percentages the best way would be to use a GPS so that you can verify the actual vs indicated speeds and then plug the numbers using the online calculator here to get the percentage.

From SpeedoDRD's instructions:

How to Obtain your Correction Ratio
You can use the easy web-based tool at 12oclock Labs ,
or you can use one of the formulas below.
Using your modified gearing the formula is:
Correction Ratio =
((your front sprocket / your rear sprocket) / (factory front sprocket / factory rear sprocket) * 100) – 100
Using the Speed of a GPS device the formula is:
Correction Ratio = ((GPS Speed / Speedometer Readout) * 100) – 100
Using the Distance from a GPS device the formula is:
Correction Ratio = ((GPS Distance / Odometer Distance) * 100) – 100
Example:
Lets say your GPS reads 55mph but your Speedometer on your bike reads 60mph,
you would do the following math:
((55 / 60) * 100) – 100 = -8.3 (round to one decimal place) [Your correction ratio would be -8.3%]

Back