Finally got new tires put on

torquewhore

The cord started showing through so it was time to ditch the old tires. Great which means I got to take of the terrible Michelin Pilot Road tire that was on the front. It had no traction.

Before
sywLN3lN6vsraRTXTOkXKw

ZU_r3dzVxizHfQi6kjZgYQ

v_5ALZ9SI8uPzwWz-x3mwQ

Then I did a little burnout. I was going to try and do some rolling burnouts and see how it feels. Well, I didn't have anyone to do the filming so I couldn't go anywhere safe to do it since if my tire popped while I was far from home then I would be screwed. So I just did some little crappy burnouts. I think rolling burnouts (drifting and whatnot) are much harder than stunters make em look thats for sure. The back tire once it got a little warm easily overpowered the front tire. So the front would just skid along it was really uncomfortable. Anyway here is some vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_q-3xHfRi8]YouTube - Crappy FZ1 Burnout[/ame]

So the tire looked like this afterwards
JFIz3aSt-P5E-TZSsGx9oQ

Y6_SISnZNrLaop6rmazytg

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y6_SISnZNrLaop6rmazytg?
authkey=Gv1sRgCP6uj6n25ITEhQE&feat=directlink
pWW9hHkJATqNqs-Zt_Hk8A

Took off the wheels to go get the new Bridgestones put on
42wKc9Jxtp_qwO2MtLY4yw

0arVpi6cN4swznNqZdrwLQ

New Wheels and Tires!
vgYpsl6ERlTPCq5pgjRaeA

NoJKe3Q7SomdfP81ej1X9g

MI-W0690lh9w3eVcwGaRlQ

Haha

I put red rim stripes on the back wheel that I had ordered. But the red is not a very close match to the red graphics on the bike so I'll probably take it off... have to get some pics of the new tires and wheels on.

The bike feels alot better with new tires. The old ones were totally squared off (they were like that when i got the bike) so having rounds tires is very nice now. 50 miles on the new BT016's been breaking them in leaning over as much as possible. I wish there were nice roads near where I live but there just aren't. I have to haul ass around entrance and exit ramps and u turn loops on the highways.

Well for whatever reason the "insert image" function is not working for me on this post... so if you wanna see the pics here is the album:
Picasa Web Albums - Erich - FZ1

Last edited:
The burnout at 1:48 of the video was anything but crappy! Good job toasting that rubber! Just remember to take a bottled water with you next time. A tiny bit under the tire gets it spinning quickly.

I know what I'm going to be trying when it is time for the next set of tires.....

At least you posted you efforts-- I was thinking on the last one -- not in the frame, that you weren't going to get it -- but then with all the smoke, really would not of mattered anyway.....

And I agree with mikeswe, get that puppy trail ready!

Well the last one was nice but I have to admit that some of those attempts gave me a good laugh! Thanks for sharing that... The last burn made up for it all! :D

I didn't think about the bottled water trick. I did drive through a small puddle that was nearby and that is how I finally got the back end to break without the front skidding along.

Eventually I will get enough balls to do rolling burnouts... I think the balls will drop when I have better protection for my ride though I don't want to dump it and break anything. I need bar end protection and swingarm and maybe I'll even tape some cardboard around the fairings or something. I will look extra cool I'm sure.

I bet it is easier to do the rolling burnout when you start it while moving... now that I have a sticky from tire it will be easier so I'll try again in 3k miles or so when my back tire is worn.

Meh, I average about 3500 on my tires. I have been to Laconia twice, I KNOW you have some nice roads up in NH to burn up some rubber on...

Ok... well a few here and there. ;) I just cannot get to them often enough. If I lived in eastern TN or western NC, I can easily see 3k per set!

Last Thursday, wife and I took the day off and I did wind it up through the Kanc. :D Tried yesterday with Norm but traffic was a hazzard.

So, when are you coming back to NH? Have you been to Daytona Bike Week? Is it worth a trip?

I have been to most every state on the east coast, NH is not one I will be returning to. It rained both trips, and it seemed like there was a never ending amount of salt on the roads long after winter was done. The Rally itself was also kind of dud. Daytona is about a 45 minute drive for me, so I have been there 10+ times. With the economy like it is of course it has been downsized, but it's massive. Everything involving motorcycles is going on in Daytona....Harley stuff, Superbike races, you name it. Also most every OEM brings their bikes for full road demo rides. There is not much riding in that part of the state, and the crowds make it hard. I honestly go in a car most of the time just to watch the races and do demo rides.

If you want to visit NH, late July or anytime in August is choice. Laconia Bike Week is a joke here, it's more like a swap meet and flea market rolled into one. The fact that they hold it in the rainy season is plain stupid in the first place.

Come in August and you'll have a new appreciation. Actually, you'd spend a day or so here then over to VT where the roads are much more fun on bikes, then a short jaunt over the border into upstate NY for Tracey Rd, what they call the mini Gap of the Northeast. Rte 17 in VT is rather nice too. Nice long Mtn run there and both the uphill and downhill are awesome.

Those Tires Deserved It

Man were they ever squared off. Looks like the previous owner lived on an interstate. I think I saw the whole chicken in one of those shots!
Great burnout, the last one, excellent. The others were just too much fun.
I love the new set of tires.
I took my son out to mini-track night tonight. A lot of CBR125's. He wanted me to ride one with him.
Not on those little skinny tires.
These guys must shop where you do. Damn ebay and their made in China metric measurements.
The old school spokes are nice though.

Just a word of caution there Torque........Your chain really needs to be adjusted.....way too much slack!!

IMG_0256.jpg

The new tires look great, what are they, Bridgestones??? I see your running
1.75's on the rear! Cool. ;)

Back