fender eliminator

bunky

I have an 03 and wonder how easy is it to eliminate the ginormous rear fender?

I wonder if it is worth taking it to a dealer vs risking the bike if I do it.

I am also wondering if moding the two rear lights to also become rear signal lights?

Tried to google this info, but kept getting other bikes and not Gen 1 specific information.

Do it your self. Cut it off where you want or take it off....there are fender eliminater kits pretty cheap for the gen 1s.
I cut mine up to the bottom of the plate....I still like keeping crap off my back rather than the streamlined look.

I have the kit to turn the brake lights into turnsignals, that I never used, you can have it for what I paid for it plus shipping........if I can find it:wilynily:

I did exactly the same, just got out the old dremmel and cut the fender just below plate. It looks tons better and makes that big back tire look even sexier! As far as turn signals I figure bigger is better, hopefully easier for the cages to see?

I have an 03 and wonder how easy is it to eliminate the ginormous rear fender?

I wonder if it is worth taking it to a dealer vs risking the bike if I do it.

I am also wondering if moding the two rear lights to also become rear signal lights?

Tried to google this info, but kept getting other bikes and not Gen 1 specific information.
My bike [2008] was fitted with a fender eliminator on it when I got it ,I was also given the stock fender, Even though I like the look of the eliminator I am seriously thinking of putting the stock fender back on,the reason is I ride sometimes on wet and also gravel roads [roadworks etc],The tail light, back seat and a small ventura sports bag get`s cover in mud etc,which I find very annoying so think about your type of riding before doing the swap.It`s not the greatist looking stock fender but does a fair job of keeping the mud off.

This will be a daily commuter of 100kms.
I wont be out if it rains, but sh%t happens if I get caught in it.

Fisherman, you said you recieved the stock fender when you bought it. Did that mean it was in good shape? No cutting required when the F.E. was installed?

Did some costs of what stream lining the bike will be and looks pretty costly.

Doing flush out front and having the brake lights become signals plus labour and I'm looking at $500.

Whew!!

Think I will wait......maybe rethink.

If you were closer I'd trade you. I wish I had never trimmed mine...
tt.jpg

This will be a daily commuter of 100kms.
I wont be out if it rains, but sh%t happens if I get caught in it.

Fisherman, you said you recieved the stock fender when you bought it. Did that mean it was in good shape? No cutting required when the F.E. was installed?

Did some costs of what stream lining the bike will be and looks pretty costly.

Doing flush out front and having the brake lights become signals plus labour and I'm looking at $500.

Whew!!

Think I will wait......maybe rethink.

$500!?!? for what?
$10 for flush mounts off ebay 5 minnute install
$10 for trailer light adapter from auto part store (combination brake turn signals) 15 minnute install.

so what is the fender eliminator a $400 part?

The eliminator is $130 + $20(shipping) + 3% for canadian duty.
The rear light converted to signals + Low resistor= $148
The flush mounted LED front signals + Low resistor =$82
Total time (approx.) = 2 to 3 hours @ $90 per hr.
And being in Canada with HST (tax) @ 13%

Now I have been informed that due to the highway traffic act, these rear mods could get me in trouble with police. Also, the amount of trouble of having to convert it all back when I decide to sell. Getting a safety to pass, might not happen. Signal lights have to be so many inches apart.
Not to mention the amount of rain/debris I could be wearing without the fender.

That is why I am hesitant on the Mod.....can't justify all the work. The bike is already gorgeous.....too much (unnecessary) work could cause me more issues later.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know this forum site is so active with smarter people than me.

The eliminator is $130 + $20(shipping) + 3% for canadian duty.
The rear light converted to signals + Low resistor= $148
The flush mounted LED front signals + Low resistor =$82
Total time (approx.) = 2 to 3 hours @ $90 per hr.
And being in Canada with HST (tax) @ 13%

Now I have been informed that due to the highway traffic act, these rear mods could get me in trouble with police. Also, the amount of trouble of having to convert it all back when I decide to sell. Getting a safety to pass, might not happen. Signal lights have to be so many inches apart.
Not to mention the amount of rain/debris I could be wearing without the fender.

That is why I am hesitant on the Mod.....can't justify all the work. The bike is already gorgeous.....too much (unnecessary) work could cause me more issues later.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know this forum site is so active with smarter people than me.

You would be getting RIPPED off for a FE on your Gen1 ride. Like others have said, you can do that yourself. It is just a matter of getting up the courage to do the work yourself. It is molded into the Gen1's underside, and as such, you have to take a hack saw or a dremel cutting wheel to it. Shown is one example of essentially where to the undertray would get hacked. You keep the original placement of the signals if you are concerned about the spacing for your local law enforcement like the one shown below.

The integrated lights look slick and they clean up the rear, but it is difficult to get the street legal spacing that is required, since you have this concern.

There! You just saved $150! If you stay with original light spacing, you can get LED's for the rear, and have them in the same holes that the stock lights sit. So, there you probably saved another $50. And street legal as well!

Your welcome! :nerd:

Corbin makes those. Big $$$ though. :( Go here Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Yamaha FZ1 Fazer | 800-538-7035 and click on the order tab. You need the seat and the oval but if you bought the oval, I'm sure you could figure out how to mount it to your stock seat. ;)

Problem with trying to mount this type of backrest to the stock seat is that the stock seat pan may not be strong enough. Corbin makes their own seat pans (looks like reinforced fiberglass). They are substantially heavier and stronger than the stock one.

Back