feel my pain

Can you imagine how I felt opening to garage door to be greeted with a four inch screw staring at me through my new pr3 thats covered about 300 miles

Can you imagine how I felt opening to garage door to be greeted with a four inch screw staring at me through my new pr3 thats covered about 300 miles

Me, I plug them. Never had a plug come out ever. At the prices these tires cost, I'd have to have a blow-out before I replace it with a new one! The plug kits they sell today are extremely reliable. They have the ones that once inserted, plug from the inside, making it highly unlikely to come out.

It happens, I had a dry wall screw greet me last year on a relatively new tire. Unfortunately more and more shops just won't plug or patch a tire anymore, and I'm not in a position to do it myself. A plug (from the inside) done properly in the main area of the tread usually will last the life of the tire but getting someone to do it properly is getting harder to do. And once the tire is off the rim sometimes it is better to just put a new hoop on (unless the tire is almost brand new like yours).

I hit a nail with mine 2 years back. Didn't see it till I loaded the bike for a trip up north. Went to the stealership I bought it from and they gave me a sweet deal on a q2 and mounting. But yeah it sucks.

As much as it sucks, and it DOES suck, I'm glad you saw it before it caused a crash. :hellno: A tire is cheap compared to a rubber side up. Be safe, that is more important than money. Good luck with the repair.
:thinking:

Oh that does suck. I had a similar experience with my brand new tires on my car. Went to rotate them for the first time (5k miles) and found a nice screw in one of them. Luckily it was in an area where it could be safely patched.

I do agree that the modern mushroom plugs are pretty safe and if repaired properly should last the life of the tire when riding on the street.

The same thing happened to me last year and it did suck. None of my local shops will patch a tire at all these days. Unlike others, I have thrown a plug out of a tire on a motorcycle. It was 12-14 years ago and I had never heard of these new fangled mushroom plugs. Talk about a scary event! I would be willing to try one of the mushroom plugs but I didn't have any at the time and neither did the aforementioned local shops. They did have old fashioned patch kits though so I bought one of those, went home, spooned the tire off, patched it from the inside and then put it all back together. I probably got another 2000 miles out of that tire. I know I ran it until it was bald and the patch never leaked.

Here's what you need

Crazy motorcycle tires - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would think with all the technology today that these sorts of coatings would be widely available, even from the manufacturers .... it seems silly that a small nail can disable a car/motorcycle, and often render the tire 'unrepairable'. But I think they are so afraid of some moronic lawsuit that they are kept off the market due to liability insurance costs.

Me, I plug them. Never had a plug come out ever. At the prices these tires cost, I'd have to have a blow-out before I replace it with a new one! The plug kits they sell today are extremely reliable. They have the ones that once inserted, plug from the inside, making it highly unlikely to come out.

The out side plugs can keep you going but they slow leak & you have to watch the psi daily, now pr3 patching it from inside usually lasts the life of the tire BUT, the pr3 has a honeycomb interior surface & unless you grind it flat to remove the ridges the patch will leak.

You would think with all the technology today that these sorts of coatings would be widely available, even from the manufacturers .... it seems silly that a small nail can disable a car/motorcycle, and often render the tire 'unrepairable'. But I think they are so afraid of some moronic lawsuit that they are kept off the market due to liability insurance costs.

That looks like a great inner liner that could just be used as a coating in any tire, but they never say. I'm curious about the cost, weight and balance. Maybe it will be an option in the future.

Back