FCE & subsequent code...

I recently fitted a new FCE I bought from a forum member who purchased it from Ivan, but never fitted it.
After reading many posts on the subject I soldered all of the connections.
Upon start-up, the eng. trouble light came on, and has remained constantly on since.
Turns out I have a code 13....intake air pressure sensor circutry problem.
Since I soldered all joints carefully I know that there is not a break in continuity between adjacent wires
The bike runs great, has no flat spots, no surging..it revs out sweet and I am really happy with the performance....except the orange dash light is disconcerting.
From my readings it seems that the ECU will set a default value for the IAP switch to make the motor run.
My questions are:
Will I damage anything running the bike with this default value in the IAP?
Has anyone else come acroos this problem?
Why am I getting this code from fitting the FCE and no other wiring mods?
If the FCE was faulty, shouldn't there be some other sympton to indicate this?
BTW. The 'snatch' is gone!!
FZ1 owner from a Land Down Under would appreciate any input on this.

I recently fitted a new FCE I bought from a forum member who purchased it from Ivan, but never fitted it.
After reading many posts on the subject I soldered all of the connections.
Upon start-up, the eng. trouble light came on, and has remained constantly on since.
Turns out I have a code 13....intake air pressure sensor circutry problem.
Since I soldered all joints carefully I know that there is not a break in continuity between adjacent wires
The bike runs great, has no flat spots, no surging..it revs out sweet and I am really happy with the performance....except the orange dash light is disconcerting.
From my readings it seems that the ECU will set a default value for the IAP switch to make the motor run.
My questions are:
Will I damage anything running the bike with this default value in the IAP?
Has anyone else come acroos this problem?
Why am I getting this code from fitting the FCE and no other wiring mods?
If the FCE was faulty, shouldn't there be some other sympton to indicate this?
BTW. The 'snatch' is gone!!
FZ1 owner from a Land Down Under would appreciate any input on this.

Because you had the fuel tank up, I would check that the sensor on the top of the airbox was plugged in correctly. Other than that, I can't help you.
Good luck with it mate.

Cheers for that, but I checked that plug, then cleaned the terminals and pins with contact cleaner and firmly replaced it.
The code I am getting is 13, which is the Intake Air Pressure Sensor, and I doubt it has anything to do with that air box plug....

Cheers for that, but I checked that plug, then cleaned the terminals and pins with contact cleaner and firmly replaced it.
The code I am getting is 13, which is the Intake Air Pressure Sensor, and I doubt it has anything to do with that air box plug....

That plug connects to the Air intake sensor which is located in the top of the airbox, if the plug is ok then the air intake sensor itself may be faulty.

Ok...so I am on a learning curve, and hear what is being said.
Until I fitted the FCE I had no codes, thus no faulty sensors...I can't see how fitting the FCE has made any sensor faulty all of a sudden...unless I am missing something.
I appreciate the feed backs thus far...but this is still a mystery to me.
What I don't understand is how well the bike is performing since fitting the FCE, but it has thrown this code which is directly related to one of the circuts it is connected into...
BTW this machine has done 7400kms from new...
Again, thanks for the input from you guys..

I would remove the FCE and see if your error code disappears. I have read about other people with FCE's throwing error codes.
BTW what year model is your bike?

I'm not sure if this is true for the FZ1 or not but it does affect the EFI on my Speedmaster. If any of the EFI/ECU sensors are unplugged, and the key is turned on, an error code will pop up. Then, after the sensor is plugged back in and the ECU senses two heat up/cool own cycles, it clears the code. I found this in my Speedmaster maintenance manual and confirmed it by unplugging a sensor and then plugging it back in and letting it go through two heat/cool cycles. Again, I haven't studied the ECU's reaction to unplugged sensors on the FZ1 but it might help you out.

Thanks to all who took an interest in this.
I finally contacted Ivan who was somewhat helpful, but his final words were to buy a new FEC and follow the install instructions provided.
This is exactly what I did with the 'new' unit I bought from a Forum member here..
I pulled the unit off and there are no longer any codes, but back to the touchy throttle....which I will learn to live with.

Thanks to all who took an interest in this.
I finally contacted Ivan who was somewhat helpful, but his final words were to buy a new FEC and follow the install instructions provided.
This is exactly what I did with the 'new' unit I bought from a Forum member here..
I pulled the unit off and there are no longer any codes, but back to the touchy throttle....which I will learn to live with.

That is why I wont get one. Too many people complaining about an error code, and I won't personally deal with that.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

That is why I wont get one. Too many people complaining about an error code, and I won't personally deal with that.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Besides, if you don't own an '06, it's not really a problem. Yes, they all have the fuel cut-off but the only one with the genuine issue is the '06 which Yamaha botched badly. You're fortunate to have the '10 model which is even further refined in the ECU department. Just ask Pete (Hellgate) who has an '06 and put in the '10 ECU! :D

There is no doubt that Ivan's device eliminates the fuel cut-off on ANY Gen II. I just argue to what point it is needed of you own an '07 or later. Who really sees the issue on the later bikes to the point where they cannot deal with it?

I've seen '07 to '10 ECUs from $140 to $250 on Flea Bay. You've just got to keep an eye on it. Mine ended up coming from Finland of all places.

Tomorrow I'm going to, hopefully, drop the bike off for dyno tuning. I'm curious to see what she does.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem after i installed FCE. The bike would cut in and out occasionally. I soldered the wires instead and binned the useless connectors, cable tied the unit so it wouldn't flop around. No probs so far bike runs like a champ.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Never had a problem with mine, but then again, Ivan did the install on mine.

Back