FCE install, anything tips?

NightTrain

I have one coming to me, used but great condition for a decent price (roughly 133 after shipping)... I won't have any problems putting it in but if there are any tips to the install, I would apreciate it. I am tired of this thing going POW! and lurching on me mid corner at speed in the higher rpm's :eek5:

Is soldering a good way to do this? It's never coming out once it goes in so I don't care about resale. I race RC cars and know how to use an iron like a champ as a result :tup:. If it changed the resistance values I will just use the crimps/ connectors. I prefer the hard-wiring method when possible though, permanent is bullet-proof!

I have one coming to me, used but great condition for a decent price (roughly 133 after shipping)... I won't have any problems putting it in but if there are any tips to the install, I would apreciate it. I am tired of this thing going POW! and lurching on me mid corner at speed in the higher rpm's :eek5:

Is soldering a good way to do this? It's never coming out once it goes in so I don't care about resale. I race RC cars and know how to use an iron like a champ as a result :tup:. If it changed the resistance values I will just use the crimps/ connectors. I prefer the hard-wiring method when possible though, permanent is bullet-proof!

In my searches I have heard of many error code issues resulting from soldering the wires. Ivan who sells the unit does not recommend it.
Just install it as instructed to avoid the issues.

In my searches I have heard of many error code issues resulting from soldering the wires. Ivan who sells the unit does not recommend it.

I thought that there may be issues related to doing it like that, glad I asked :) Your boy Stoner just about got tank-slapped out of the race today :ugh:. Good save for sure! Thanks for the advice.

I thought that there may be issues related to doing it like that, glad I asked :) Your boy Stoner just about got tank-slapped out of the race today :ugh:. Good save for sure! Thanks for the advice.

No problem.

Yeah Stoner was pretty lucky. His season would have really taken a huge dive if he failed to finish 2 races in a row.

I have noticed that a lot of installers do solder the connections to make sure corrosion and vibration don't diminish the integrity of the connection. Personally I don't buy theidea that soldering causes any type of problem unless the heat from soldering is close enough and hot tneough to degrade any components in the FCE itslef. If you look at where the FCE is placed, I can't imagine that the crimp-on connectors will keep a connection of integrity for a long time. I've seen too many develope corrosion after just a few years of getting moisture/salt etc. on/in them. Personally, any time I need to attach anything electrical on my bike it gets soldered then enclosed with silicone and shrink tube.

After doing some research myself it appears that Ivan will not warranty the item if the connection is soldered. But since you bought it used this might be the case regardless.

After doing some research myself it appears that Ivan will not warranty the item if the connection is soldered. But since you bought it used this might be the case regardless.

Error codes have nothing to do with whether the connectors are soldered or not. Ivan doesn't recommend soldering because his supplier wont honor the warranty if the FCE has been soldered (can't figure that one out). Since you bought it used and there's no warranty then just go ahead and solder it. This way you'll never have to worry about a connector corroding or coming loose...just my :2cents:

Back