Faulty Fuel Gauge; Intermittent Tach

I recently purchased a used 2001 FZ1 and the fuel gauge displays an amber light (low fuel), but filling the tank won't move the gauge or turn off the light.
The tach sometimes bounces around between 0 and 7k rpm...then goes back to normal. Any input would be appreciated.:(

2 different problems.

Fuel Gauge : Start by lifting the tank and checking the connections. There's a connector at the sending unit on the bottom of the tank. Follow that wire down, and it connects to another spot behind the left hand side-cover.
Here:
tankelectrical.jpg

7k Error Code : This is an error code for your EXUP valve. The 7k error code tells you that it's not opening properly. Normally an easy fix, either the cables are too loose, or the valve itself needs to be cleaned and lubed. go here: http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

Thanx for the info...so the tach is displaying an error code? What does VA_rider stand for? Interesting, since I work at the VA here in Albuquerque, that's veterans administration hospital.

Hellooo...I just bought this FZ1 yesterday and drove it down from Taos. I'm already tryin to fix the little problems, but I can't complain about the bike, it took me to 140 in just a few seconds on I25 last night on the trip back to Alb.

yeah, my daily burst is from Rio Grande on ramp to I-40 with the nice right hander on to Coors (up to 120 today.....)

I also had the brain fart and now getting pretty good at finally lifting the front end of the bike....

Name is Adam, if there is anything I can do to help out....

BroHay

Back