fastest you've had your fz1???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had it up to 140 mph on a long stretch of road in northern Colorado. 120 didn't seem so bad but at around 135 everything stated going by really fast. I almost forgot that I needed more room to slow down at that speed. It was thrilling but I don't know if I'd ever do it again. I kept thinking "What happens if a rabbit runs out in front of me." It was fun though.

Last edited:
Just got back from a 2 week trip where we trailered the bikes out west. On the way to Yellowstone National Park, with my bigass sail of a windshield, my 2 saddlebags and 1 tailbag full of gear, and no mods to speak of, I rolled the throttle to the limit and hit 149 indicated, which was 138 on the GPS. Don't ask me about the rpms or anything else cause I don't remember. I nearly soiled myself. The bike was rock stable. To go faster I'd need to put the stock windshield back on, get rid of the bags, get a fairing, and upgrade my genitals to brass.

140 on the speedo... didn't stay there long, ran out of road!

I'm noticing it takes a lot more distance to play around on the FZ1 than on a slower bike... everything in between seems like waiting.

Touched 145 on Sat on a straight stretch ( was trying to catchup with the liter SS bikes ;-)

Bike was very stable & I'm sure could have gone much faster...

To all those talking about having reached 125mph or 145mph. Ive got to say that you just have not been trying hard enough, because our bike's can reach 160-165mph easily, and will cope with these speeds without any problems.

For me i am having difficulty going past 176mph, i need to find longer straight runs to test it to it's full potential.

Another problem in Uk are speed camera's, and unmarked Police cars.

Having said that, I seriously am an 'accident waiting to happen', and i know i have to modify my riding

The most prominent limiter on my speeding is the thought of my young daugter and son, who are always waiting with big hugs when their beloved daddy comes back from work. Also i am an employer and many families rely on me.

I fear that i have become addicted to speed,(even considered a nitro kit or getting a full on sports bike). Over the past week i have tried to keep within the speed limits, but it's not fun. I have playing games like

------the trying not to put my feet down during my commute
------doing breathing exercises
------exercising my whole body - by tensing different muscle group
------doing a running commentary on my riding and risk assessment

These type of things takes mind of doing stupid things.

This is the first time i have expressed my true feeling's on the subject, and i am open to any advice.

PS -My Nitro Project for the Fz1n is on hold !!!

Let's Get serious

I heard that GenII's can reach about 126mph with a very skinny rider and a stiff tail wind. At least thats what I have heard. :poke::th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

I saw a video on you tube showing a Gen 2 doing 277 kph(indicated). That is roughly 170 Mph. It was the faired version like mine.

My old 1986 FZ 600 could hit 121 Mph at redline in 6th gear. And I am 180 lbs. Not sure if I had a tail wind that day, I might of had gas. That was an air cooled, 8 valve, carburated engine, that was 19 years old at the time.:tup:

Let's see the fastest was between 170 to 180 MPH and that was just a quick glance, I was on the 401 going to Toronto and had some room and so I opened her right out! 6th gear twisted wide open redlined!

Last edited:
There is a member on here (jlewis02) that has a modded faired Gen II that has hit a GPS verified 167 MPH. A stock naked Gen II may reach 150-155 MPH, but that is about it...

I did that, scary as hell and I won't be doing it again.:eek5::cheers:
Can post a pic of the GPS if needed.

Last edited:
Yes

Still have the 600???

Yes, the old girl is out in the garage under a cover. The pictures in "my album" are from this summer. The rotor is cooked but otherwise it still runs perfect. I will have the rotor rewound as soon as money permits. I stored it properly, oil in the cylinders, carbs drained, fuel stabilizer in a full tank, battery removed and on a optimate charger. It was still turning heads this past spring.:hi jack:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back