Fair Price?

OldDuffer

I know that selling an FZ now is not exactly easy, economy, demand, niche bike etc. But my knee is gone, so the bike must go too. One surgery ago I convinced myself I could still ride. Now with another on the way and the knee no longer reliable, riding is out for the forseable future. Enough of my sad tale.
I do not need to sell the bike, but I'm married to an accountant, and she see's no point in keeping it. Promises have been made that I can buy another when and if I heal enough to handle it. Anyhow I've put the bike up for sale on "the other site" before and got nothing but real lowball offers. The bike is presently up on my local CL listed for $4,900. I have some wiggle room but I don't want to give it away.
Here's what she is.
'07 Cobalt Blue 13,500 miles(bought new in '08)
Scorpion Slipon
PCIII w/custom map from Moon's Supercycle in Milwaukee
142rwhp have dyno sheets
cat gutted from header
AIS blocked
Airbox mod done
BMC air filter
Fender Eliminator(CompWerks)
Flush mount front turn signals
FDB adjustable break levers
600 mile service taken care of at dealer
Oil changed every 1500-2000 miles(i'm finicky)
Golden Spectro semi synth
Clear title in hand
NO DAMAGE EVER!
I'm a 44 year old chicken, and the bike shows that.
Does need a new back tire.
I'm not asking if anyone here is interested, just what you all think a fair price for the bike should be.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I think it's fair to more than fair

I think it's fair to more than fair, especially because of the care in maintanence and ad-ons. NADA has High retail at $5,883 Low at $4,467. Granted that's retail so if they offer a 30-90 day warranty and your potential buy finds that vital-you'll lose that sale. However, anyone who knows the quality of the FZ1 and is satisfied with a test ride and perhaps has it checked out by a dealer, would be happy to own it for $4900. IMHO.
BTW, have you tried the various options to lower the pegs to give your knees more room.:stunta]:

Thanks for the support folks, I'm feeling pretty good on my price. I do have one buyer looking. He's stuck on $4500, cause I listed it at that price last fall. With the riding season coming up, I think I'll stick to my guns for a bit more. BTW Polestar, a swollen and uncomfortable knee needs more room than the lower pegs would provide. The other issue is no lateral support. I know I could put the other leg down, but I would have to unlearn 25 years of bad riding habits.

I bought a bone stock '07 with 7500 miles on it for $4500. It too was in pristine condition. With all your goodies I don't think $4900 is unreasonable. OTOH, with the mileage (which I don't consider high at 13,500 but many potential buyers might think so) $4500 may be reasonable if you had to sell it.

I don't think the market for luxury items like motorcycles is going to get much better over the next 2-3 years so if no offers materialize as the spring season rolls in you may want to consider the offer you have in hand. You're really only holding out for $400 and your accountant spouse will remind you that the FZ1, beloved beast that it is, is a constantly depreciating asset.

Sorry you have to give it up. Perhaps trading it for a Can-Am Spyder might be a viable option? At least you'll still have the wind in your face.

I think your price is VERY fair but, as Norm has stated, it will only lose value as time passes. Tell the guy $4,700 FIRM and Final.

I have to say at least you guys are making me feel a little better. Oldschool your post actually made me laugh out loud. I made the wife read it(she has lost her once wonderful sense of humor). Yeah negotiations are ongoing with my perspective buyer. I may be irritating him because I'm not desperate to sell. My emotional attachment may be clouding my fiscal decision making, but the FZ is the first bike since my beloved '83 Honda CB1100F that truely stirs my soul. BTW traded the CB in on a cruiser to make someone I've already mentioned happy. She road on the back less than a half dozen times and declared it too uncomfortable, oh yes she was there during the purchase. Well this is getting easier, you guys are cheaper than phsyco-therapy, and much more productive. I'm moving the FZ into the living room and making a statement.

Ha, all women love to have a bike in their living room! With spring around the corner I'd hold out for a start above 5k with room to drop price.

Sorry to read you have to sell your bike. I was in the LaCrosse area a couple years back and there is some great riding across the state from you.

Thanks for all the help and good vibes. I had a long "Discussion" with my wonderful wife, and then I put my foot down. The one on the good leg. I'm keeping the FZ. Even if I have to keep it mothballed through the riding season, I'm not selling. I'm going to use it as my motivation to get through the next round of therapy. The knee is only getting scoped. The insurance company is holding out for me to be older to get the replacement. OK. I'm just wondering if they hope I'll do myself in or if knee replacements are gonna get cheaper in the next half decade. Oldschool ,maybe that trike conversion's not such a bad idea.

Duffer;;
Well, it comes down to what someone will pay for it, not what its worth.
I bought an 06 six months ago with 4200 miles but Stock from a dealer for 3500.00 and this was on ebay.
I think perhaps you should wait like you say and maybe spring will bring an increase of buyers.
Heal fast.
Valvestem

Thanks for all the help and good vibes. I had a long "Discussion" with my wonderful wife, and then I put my foot down. The one on the good leg. I'm keeping the FZ. Even if I have to keep it mothballed through the riding season, I'm not selling. I'm going to use it as my motivation to get through the next round of therapy. The knee is only getting scoped. The insurance company is holding out for me to be older to get the replacement. OK. I'm just wondering if they hope I'll do myself in or if knee replacements are gonna get cheaper in the next half decade. Oldschool ,maybe that trike conversion's not such a bad idea.

Good for you! Unless you have a wife like Eric's I'm afraid there's a rare spouse that appreciates what these bikes mean to us. As a physician , no matter your age, I urge you to fight for what you need so you can get on with your life, ride your bike etc. If the replacement lasts X amount of years that's fine, there will probably be something even a little better then.

Back