F-Trip

Hi guys need to pick your brains, now its to do with low fuel warning, on my old 1050 Tiger when the fuel got low a reading would appear and would say 30 miles left and of course would count down . On the FZ1 i have just run the fuel low and its telling me F-Trip and counting up now whats that all about :confused:

The count up is to let you know how many miles you've ridden since the fuel warning started flashing. You have to do the math and figure out how far you can go.

Best thing to do is to figure out your average miles per gallon. Next time you trip the low fuel gauge get gas immediately and calculate how much gas you had left in your tank when you filled up. It will be 4.7 gallons minus how much fuel you put in. Multiply that by your average miles per gallon and you will have a very accurate number for how far you can go. On my bike it is just about 35 miles after my low fuel warning starts. Inever let it get that far. I look for gas the minute mine goes off.

I have yet to witness a low fuel warning to be accurate on any vehicle I have been in or on.

They aren't designed to be accurate. People would get ticked off if the countdown counter got to ZERO and the vehicle ran out of gas and coasted to a stop. There is always a couple of gallons left in the car's tank for safety reasons.

The FZ1's count up system is a bit unusual but it fits the purpose.

While we're on the subject, is there any harm to the injectors to let the bike run out of fuel? I honestly want to know how far I can go with my type of riding on a takof gas.

After my F-Trip blinks for about 15 miles I stop and fill up. I have never put in more than 3.75 gals which tells me that even after F-Trip has been blinking for 15 miles, I still have 1 Gal left. Unless of course my tank really isnt 4.75. To take all the stupid guess work out, I want to run out of fuel on purpose and see. I have done this before on my cruiser (without a fuel guage) with my wife following behind with gas.

While we're on the subject, is there any harm to the injectors to let the bike run out of fuel? I honestly want to know how far I can go with my type of riding on a takof gas.

After my F-Trip blinks for about 15 miles I stop and fill up. I have never put in more than 3.75 gals which tells me that even after F-Trip has been blinking for 15 miles, I still have 1 Gal left. Unless of course my tank really isnt 4.75. To take all the stupid guess work out, I want to run out of fuel on purpose and see. I have done this before on my cruiser (without a fuel guage) with my wife following behind with gas.

your electric fuel pump may not like it but it is your bike . to me it sounds the same as wanting to know how far you can run without coolant or oil

Yamaha has had this for a while as my 04 FJR does the same thing. As near as I can figure you have at least 1 gal of fuel on reserve so your good for 35-40 miles usually. Once you are used to it I think it's a great way to know how far you have gone on reserve and how soon you really, really need gas.

I've done a bit of research on this and it seems to show that the warning light comes on when you've got about a 1/4 of a tank left. So if you do 120 miles from full when it comes on you should have about 40 miles to completely empty.

This seems to be for quite a few bikes, certainly for my old FZ6 and my girlfriends Buell.

I accidently ran out of fuel on the FZ6 garage demonstator in 2005 before i bought my new one and it didn't seem to have any effect and i had it for a few more miles, but i wouldn't do it to mine intentionally, just know how i feel without fuel!!

Enjoy the bike either way.....

Back