F-Trip Record

According to many people here in the forum you have approximately 1.2 gallons left after your F-Trip comes on. This morning my F-Trip came on and I knew I had a 30 mile commute. I risked it and made it with visions in my head of pushing my bike to the nearest gas station. So far 32 miles is my record on the F-Trip. What's yours?

Honestly, I'm sometimes very skeptical how low my tank really is. Often when i stop the bike with two bars of fuel left and park it on its kickstand, the next morning it will be into the F-Trip.

Sometimes, the gauge will go back up even.... maybe I messed something up when I put on the retro kit...

But my record is in the mid 30s

Honestly, I'm sometimes very skeptical how low my tank really is. Often when i stop the bike with two bars of fuel left and park it on its kickstand, the next morning it will be into the F-Trip.

Sometimes, the gauge will go back up even..
I get that as well and my bike is basically stock.

I was on the return route of a trip a while back, and I remembered (incorrectly), that there were gas stations about 10 miles out of one particular town. F-trip started flashing as I was in that town. No problem. Kept riding very economically, but no gas stations. Kept riding - now getting worried. By now I was thinking about what I would say to some farmer after knocking on his front door.

Finally pulled into the gas station at 43.6 miles on the F-trip. The fillup took 4.3 gallons. Don't ever want to do that again !!! Ditto about the fuel pump as well.

I think the furthest I have "pushed" it while on F-trip has been about 25 miles. It then it took about 4 gal to fill it up.

I enjoy pushing my fuel capacity to the limit so I'm always pushing my tank as low as I dare. I usually chicken out before it runs out, though. I've had a few bikes run out of fuel but I'm almost always a few miles from a gas station. Except once, when I was out of fuel on my DRZ 20 miles from any town in the middle of a snow storm :tdown: That was a long walk

I don't buy into the urban myth of the fuel pump overheating from not having fuel surrounding it. From what I've read, fuel running through the pump is what cools the pump itself, not fuel surrounding it. Who really knows for sure, not me!

I don't buy into the urban myth of the fuel pump overheating from not having fuel surrounding it. From what I've read, fuel running through the pump is what cools the pump itself, not fuel surrounding it. Who really knows for sure, not me!

it's not about the cooling, the fuel pump over revs when there's nothing to push/pull, and that can be intermittent when low on fuel

While I never run out of fuel with my current Fz1 I did so with a lot of other injected bikes and never had any problem with a fuel pump.
That said, I only run low on fuel if I have to, sometimes there are no gas stations and you have to push it to the limit but that is not a common occurrence. However it is good to know what is your real range because it helps you plan trips accordingly.

it's not about the cooling, the fuel pump over revs when there's nothing to push/pull, and that can be intermittent when low on fuel

Interesting theory and it seems plausible. I'd like to see what our resident engineer thinks (lindy), he always has a lot of insight on things like this.

Another theory I've heard is that sediment at the bottom of the tank is more easily sucked up by the pump when it's low on fuel. However, since the fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank in most vehicles anyway, I can't quite understand that one.

I think it will be one of those 'things' that everyone has an opinion on.

Lately, I have been trying to stretch out all 5 gallons on my 919 when I travel. This is getting past 200 miles with this bike, the most being 209. So far, I've chickened out before hitting the complete 5 gallons, filling up around 4.7 to 4.8

Interesting theory and it seems plausible. I'd like to see what our resident engineer thinks (lindy), he always has a lot of insight on things like this.

Another theory I've heard is that sediment at the bottom of the tank is more easily sucked up by the pump when it's low on fuel. However, since the fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank in most vehicles anyway, I can't quite understand that one.

I think it will be one of those 'things' that everyone has an opinion on.

Lately, I have been trying to stretch out all 5 gallons on my 919 when I travel. This is getting past 200 miles with this bike, the most being 209. So far, I've chickened out before hitting the complete 5 gallons, filling up around 4.7 to 4.8

If you ever had an italian or french car you wouldn't question the low fuel vs fuel pump debate , sure the fp doesn't die if you run a few times out of gas but I'm pretty sure it will shorten it's life, some fp must be primed and there's a warning about running dry, it's not a myth.

While I never run out of fuel with my current Fz1 I did so with a lot of other injected bikes and never had any problem with a fuel pump.
That said, I only run low on fuel if I have to, sometimes there are no gas stations and you have to push it to the limit but that is not a common occurrence. However it is good to know what is your real range because it helps you plan trips accordingly.

Either which way, the point of my post was precisely illustrated by Dreamdemon.

I opened my manual and it says 4.76 Gal... my fuel trip comes on at about 110miles. ive pushed the F-trip to 20mi and my fuel up was still under 4 Gal. I hate the 'inaccuracy' of the fuel gauge. but i still get nervous everytime it starts to blink

I opened my manual and it says 4.76 Gal... my fuel trip comes on at about 110miles. ive pushed the F-trip to 20mi and my fuel up was still under 4 Gal. I hate the 'inaccuracy' of the fuel gauge. but i still get nervous everytime it starts to blink

I am with you man. I never go under 5 under the f trip. Every time it starts to blink I get gas. Usually never under 10.

Sometimes, the gauge will go back up even.... maybe I messed something up when I put on the retro kit...

But my record is in the mid 30s

i have the same problem sometimes the ftrip comes on and then it goes back to to bars but i always keep an eye on my tripmeter from years of driving sheety vehicles

Back