eyeing an 03 fz1 with 21k. what kind of service can I expect to have to perform.

roel

I recently rode a friends FZ1, just a little tour in the park, and I love it. I am shopping around for a used one, came across an 03 with 21k, with a price in my range. I am wondering what kind of service I will need to perform within the upcoming miles, shocks, seals, valves, etc, and what it will cost. Thanks, and can't wait to be an FZ1 rider!!!

at 21k, the forks need to be serviced if they haven't been... that's fluid, seals, and bushings... I'd also drain and replace the coolant... flush the brakes... lube all of the cables... etc... also if the current owner hasn't done a chain and sprockets, you should be looking at that... and when you have all of that apart, it's a good time to lube the swingarm bushings and rear suspension bushings..... and you should probably repack the steering neck bearing....

I'd pull the calipers and look for glazing / cracking on the brake pads... replace those if needed... depending on the weight of th previous rider, I might look at servicing the rear shock as well (that's something you send off and have done) ...

Back