Exup DRAMA

donoharm

So this morning my riding buddies stood me up and went for a family bbq...my wife didn't want to go there ... anyway I decided to clean the exup or whatever then ride alone for a while.

So I went to my shop and.... broke 3 of the exup bolts :sinister: .. 1 from the cover and 2 from the exup cap.

Must buy a motorcycle lift... after 4 hours of laying on the concrete floor I managed to drill and tap 2 holes , went for M8.. now the drama ... I had to make bigger holes in the ex-cap and I think i bent it in the vice cause now it doesn't fit anymore and the exup thingie can't move freely ...

I just mount it open and came back home but the bike runs awful , there is 0 power at low rpm, backfiring at constant speed/decel it's just unrideble

If the EXUP valve doesn't move freely then it certainly sounds like somehow it got bent. Does it bind even if you don't bolt it down?

Not sure how easy it would be to try and straighten it, but you may want to post a WTB ad for one. Bike will not run well at low RPMs with it open as you have already experienced. Gen I (98-01) R1s use the same valve by the way...

Install the exup cap without the internal parts. If there are no gaps between the cap and the exhaust I would think that is not bent.

It is possible when installing the internals to have the valve in a position where it will not move. Been the done that.

thanks guys

Today i had some time and fixed the exup , the cap was bent and also the exup valve ... a bit of hammering (rubber hammer) and it's like new now.. well with stainless m8 bolts instead of m6

Never broken a bolt so easily in my life, I think nobody ever serviced the exup

Es up valve

hey - i had an experience with mine. It was sticking badly. what can be the cause is the pivot pins at the ends are not in alingment. I used an aluminium small level as a straight edge and adjusted .Now it works like a dream. I also
service the unit about every six weeks, I know this is crazy, but the reason is
"just in case" i lube everything with high temp grease.Once you do it a couple of
atimes it is like a refles action.

every 6 weeks? I would sell the bike tomorrow if it needed that much attention.

I think every year is more then enough.. one year or 10k .

I believe mine was never serviced.. it's an 2003 (50k km) , I couldn't find any trace of copper grease or any other stuff except black exhaust soot and not much of it and the bushings had minimal play

Ex Up

Well, I'm retired- the high temperature grease is to make life easy. I aquired my ride at about 18800 miles, suddenly it started to rattle like crazy. The tack will read 7000 to tell you to service it. I also have a friend that that has over 30000
miles and has not touched it . dealer's choice

Back