EXUP and other problems

Hi everyone... this is my second post and I have some questions. Can you please help me with answers about FZ1 2006:

1. I discover the Exup valve don't work at all, but on board is no warning light. Do I lose any power at low rpm and if, how much?
Is fuel consumption higher and if, how much?
If I speed up from 1500 rpm, I hear rattling noise, belive from exup valve. Is that normal?
I belive I must change servo motor if I want to repaire the exup function??

2. What is your chain gap setings? I have 4 cm, noticed that the heated chain tightens.

3. Do they also FZ1 for Europe fuel interruption (fuel cut-off)?

Thanks a lot...

Last edited:
HI and welcome to the site
I think you will find the exup valve does not really do a lot on the gen 2 , from the info I have found on here it only closes slightly at hi rpm to help with noise levels , you can take the cover off the servo motor and manually twist the pully to close the valve ,then turn on the ignition and it should reset itself ,thats about all it will do !!!!!!

as for noises , I dont honestly think the fz1 is the quietest of motors , I had simular concerns when I first purchased mine , now i just ride it ,your best bet is to put a slip on can on it then you can ditch the exup , plus it will drown the noise out .:) It worked for me.

Yes they do have fuel cut ,, more so on 2006 models , (search throttle snatch / ivans fce )

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, but I'd like to know if someone has experience with stock exhoust and eliminated EXUP. Consumpion fuel is in my case between 6 and 7 liters/100km. I belive there is a difference with working and none working EXUP.
And the noise at 1500 rpm is metal rattling, takes only a second or two, when I speed up. Of course, normaly I don't drive at this rpm, but it happens.

6-7 litres to 100km if i have worked it out correctly (only roughly in my head ) would be some where around mid 40s to the gallon , that is pretty good compared to what some get . if your concerned about the exup valve being noisy , slip the can off and check the flappers still in tack , I occasionally put my std can on , i have the flap wired open so dont bother with the cables etc , and you notice no difference at all

Thanks, that mean I can forget the EXUP problem.

What about the chain tension? On manuals is written 2,5-3,5 cm. If I set to that value, after ride, when chain and chainrinngs are hot, I think chain has too tight tense. And I don't know, when I bumping or hit the hole, is chain get even more tense?

To avoid bearing damage and stretching the chain my seting is 4 cm. But if this seting is to big, I risk fast wear out chainrings and unnecessary tweaks at shifting.
I bought a bike last year, and ride 14000 so far. Bike has 24000km. Chain looks good.
When did you change your chain?
What is your tension seting?

To be honest I set the chain tension from experience , I dont actually measure it , but I would say its around 35-40 mm ,you need to rotate the wheel to find the tight spot first ,Thats where you set it . The life of the chain will depend on how you ride and maintain it. I usualy see about 25/30,000 miles out of one . As for the exup may be worth pulling the can off to check its secure

I downloaded FZ1Girl's maintenance list from her website. As many of you know she has put well over 200,000 miles on her Gen 1 FZ1. I did not see any maintenance work on her EXUP valve, or trouble with her EXUP valve.

Last edited:
I belive EXUP has nothing with noise reduction, but on FZ1 works different like on R1.
At R1 you can see, EXUP is working all the time. I found this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiwiR2dq4xQ]99 Yamaha R1 EXUP valve operation - YouTube[/ame]

I found this video on Youtube, a guy thinks something is wrong (but it isn't): [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h4PkpWy7jo]Yamaha FZ-1s[/ame]
EXUP work like on my FZ1. It is full open at stop engine and stays open even if you start motor. Only movement of servo motor you can see, if you move EXUP to closed position and than start the ignition.

EXUP works only when you drive and you start aceleration, at lower rpm.
I found this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGA3kaBHzVc]Yamaha FZ1 EXUP in action in 6th gear.wmv - YouTube[/ame]
EXUP valve is open at clockwise turn.

I think on the FZ, the EXUP valve remains completely closed below about 4000 RPM (cannot find a source to confirm this) and then gradually opens up...

I was reassembling mine the other day - and unless I've done it completely wrong... With no cables attached, the valve is held open by the spring on the outside of the pipe. To hook up the cables to the servo, you need to twist the valve to the closed position, to get them to hook in. The valve is then held in that position, against the spring tension, by the servo.

From what I've seen (and again, unless I've done it wrong), this is how it starts from idle. My understanding is that this helps in the low-mid range, by increasing and/or controlling the exhaust back pressure to give more power and a smoother power curve.

It's only two hex screws covering the valve. Try taking them off and running the engine. Does the valve open/close at all between idle and red-line?

Look at the cables, im sure the lower one on the valve goes to the upper position on the servo and visca/versa if that makes sense, still not convinced it does much to be honest ,, but am happy to be wrong, cant see it would be closed under 4000 rpm as it would be strangling it, I would check your cable routing .
Any one else know ??

Back