Expected Engine Life

I'm considering buying a FZ1 and I'm looking at a 2005 with 22K miles.
Assuming the bike has been properly maintained... what's the expected engine life? Is 22K a lot?
What would be a fair price for a 2005 with 22K miles in fair condition?

Thanks.

hopefully I'll see you here pretty soon.

I've seen '01-'03 with 10-13k asking 3.5-4k. More years with less mileage.

I've got 30k on my '01 and no signs of stopping anytime in the immediate future.

Depending upon what has been done to the bike, in terms of modifications from stock, the seller might be shooting for the moon. Somewhere between 4-5k if stock (more if they are trying to recoup some of the costs from modifications without taking the time to part out to return to as close to stock as they want to get)

https://ctol.mytraderonline.com/find/listing/2005-Yamaha-FZ1-94831551

I've read in my information gathering with proper maintenance (and not necessarily being gentle on it either), 80k plus on mileage.

Welcome to the madness.....you know you'll be back....

BroHay

Last edited:
I'd say what Brohay has said. Here on the East Coast they goe for a little less than the West. I picked up my 01' with 11,530 miles on her for $3600.00 back last October. These bikes regularly see way more than 22k miles during its life. My friend's 01' has more than 80,000 miles and is still going strong. I wouldn't pay over $4500.00 though, no matter what the condition.

I hope to see you in the group. By the way, where is Corning, NY? What county? Just curious. I live down in the Bronx. Take care, Billy.

Feb 07, I paid $4,300 for my 2001 in Christiansburg, VA. To me, it was worth every penny. It had a Corbin gunfighter and Lady seat, with backrest; LeoVince Exhaust; 2 extra windshields; an extra set of bars; new tires, and it had 6,300 miles on it.... so, I paid a bit more than others may have, but to me, it was completely worth it.... It was exactly what I wanted, and having the mods already, it saved me cash in the long run....

as far as mileage, over on the FZ1OA forum, there are plenty of folks with over 100,000 miles on their Gen 1's... they burn a little bit of oil between changes, but they all still run strong... You could most likely re-ring the pistons and stop the oil burning, and go for another 100k.... take care of the bike, and it'll run a gooood looooooong time.

I'm sure the bike has at least twice that much mileage left if it has been given any kind of regular maintenance. I put at least 12,000 miles a year on my bikes so I put more miles on in two years than that bike has on it. If I thought I couldn't get between 75,000 and 100,000 on a bike I wouldn't even look at it. It' like modern cars. When I was a little kid, 50,000 miles seemed like a lot and the owner was looking at a rebuild. Now it's just well broken in at 50,000.

When I'm looking at a used bike I always check the oil first. If it looks like it hasn't been changed in a couple years I walk away at that point. From there I check the gas tank. If it smells like varnish, again, I walk away. Why? because those two issues give you a very good idea of how the bike was cared for and if the tank is rusty, kick it over before you walk away and save the next guy the trouble. Next, check the chain and sprockets. If they are badly worn, the owner wasn't too concerned about maintenance. If it's a smoker you have to consider if you want to start out doing a ring/ cylinder resurfacing job. A little snoke isn't a big deal but if it leaves a cloud behind, be aware that it needs work. It's pretty hard to fake the miles (and illegal) so I wouldn't be too concerned that the miles on the odo aren't correct.

As far as what it's worth, I always check the values on the internet then, depending on how good or bad it looks, I draw my own conslusions. What may be worth $5000 to me may not be worth $2000 to you. Only the owner has to be happy any way.

true about the mileage, but you need to take the gearing into consideration. Stock, maybe 3-5% of error is the factory norm.

My '01 had 25,222 on it yet the listing said it had just over 22K. come to find out that the original owner had 15/46 gearing and had the actual mileage off by about 14% off. Worked in my favor for the unaccounted mileage. (speedo healer took care of the error but also removed my buffer for actual speed vs. speed traveled).

Just food for thought...if geared other than stock, bike may have less mileage than shown on title @ time of sale.

BroHay

Last edited:
Corning is near the finger lakes area.
Got the bike yesterday. It doesn't have a single scratch and has been properly mantained. Still under extended warranty.
I bought it in Rochester and rode it 121miles back home.
I love it!!1 This bike is amazing!! I was looking for a FZ6 but couldn't find a good deal. This bike is f^#%$# great. Great power, handling, comfort, etc... Man... I can't believe what I missed al these years!

Thanks for all the details. You just confirm that I got a good deal.
The bike is in great shape and runs great!!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies!! Good forum!

engine life.. Gen 2

Anyone out there have experience with the Gen 2 motors ? I just passed 75,000 mile mark 06 fz1- and I am curious what anyone out there may know on the issue.. I plan on calling the factory support directly to see what type of MAJOR engine service they would recommend nearing the 100,000 mile mark. Any and all input on this would be highly appreciated by you all. I intend to regularly update this thread to learrn/inform about engine durability and service life. As I am nearing the last payment on the bike I foresee having a little extra cash to really get out and venture the country in earnest.. I know little about the Gen 2 but wish to keep riding this bike for years to come, so far she has been a wicked ride.. Ride on !!:icon_beer:

Anyone out there have experience with the Gen 2 motors ? I just passed 75,000 mile mark 06 fz1- and I am curious what anyone out there may know on the issue.. I plan on calling the factory support directly to see what type of MAJOR engine service they would recommend nearing the 100,000 mile mark. Any and all input on this would be highly appreciated by you all. I intend to regularly update this thread to learrn/inform about engine durability and service life. As I am nearing the last payment on the bike I foresee having a little extra cash to really get out and venture the country in earnest.. I know little about the Gen 2 but wish to keep riding this bike for years to come, so far she has been a wicked ride.. Ride on !!:icon_beer:

75,000 that is awesome how have been the general repairs other then wear and tear stuff?

Back