Exhaust Rattle, Power valve?

Hey guys. I got a 03 FZ1 and last year right before i put it away it started to for a rattle from the exhaust. Ive determined its loudest from the end of the header, and not comming from the header flange bolted to the head. My buddy says its the "power valve" and to just take it out because its a 1000cc and i dont really need it. Is there any common problem/fix for these by any chance? Could it be the cables just slacking up and needing to be tightened?

Thanks in advance!

ps Im not a motorcycle tech, but i know my way around a car.

Hey guys. I got a 03 FZ1 and last year right before i put it away it started to for a rattle from the exhaust. Ive determined its loudest from the end of the header, and not comming from the header flange bolted to the head. My buddy says its the "power valve" and to just take it out because its a 1000cc and i dont really need it. Is there any common problem/fix for these by any chance? Could it be the cables just slacking up and needing to be tightened?

Thanks in advance!

ps Im not a motorcycle tech, but i know my way around a car.

Unless your going to run a "full exhaust" you need the EXUP Valve so do not remove it as your friend says. Every 11,000 miles it should be removed, cleaned, re-greased, cables adjusted, and re-installed. On the first generation bikes it was used to make useable power down low in the powerband. If it's way out of adjustment you will notice the difference in power as soon as you re-adjust it to spec. The newer generation bikes do not rely on the EXUP Valve for power as the older ones do. It's an easy process which takes an hour or so. Just be sure to soak the bolts with penetrating oil a few days before to make sure they remove easily. You may want to replace them with stainless steel cap screws and use anti-seize when you put them back.

Thanks! I was just reading that and my tach jumps to 6-7K every once in a while with the key in run, engine off. Is there a place i can look up codes or a diag chart?

Thanks! I was just reading that and my tach jumps to 6-7K every once in a while with the key in run, engine off. Is there a place i can look up codes or a diag chart?

When I got the 7k code it was because the cables to the exup were not adjusted correctly.

Yea, the tach jumping up to 7k RPM is an EXUP issue. Given the fact that you're hearing a rattle I bet the cables just need to be adjusted. Depending on the mileage you may want to disassemble the whole EXUP valve, give it a good cleaning and lube it w/ some high temp grease.

Back