Exhaust pipe blues

Junior73

So I just picked up my bike this weekend and notice that the more I ride the more pipe 1 and 4 are bluing, and noticed some ticking noise coming from #4 when it got to temp. They changed the oil etc. but missed shifts, and it shifting hard into 1st concerns me a bit, better oil? To me it doesn't really like to run until it hits 3k, but it doesn't sputter, or hesitate. The dealer that I bought it from told me that it had a tune up, and everything was good. The bike only has 5k miles and was garaged, it also was maintained rigorously by the shop that I bough it from. Is this something that I should be worried about?

Well all pipes will blue a little bit. It's due to the heat. The fact that the outer two are bluing more than the rest would seem to indicate to me that those two cylinders are running hotter (probably running lean). If the bike sat around for extended periods of time (and the mileage implies that) then there is the possibility that the carbs are not 100% clean. Run some Seafoam for a tank or two and see if it makes any difference. Otherwise it may just need some tuning (jet kit, carb sync).

As for the shifting...does the oil look clean to you through the sight glass? Not knowing what they put in there it would just be cheap insurance to change the oil with a motorcycle specific one and make sure the clutch is properly adjusted. It should not be shifting hard at all. Best of luck with it...

Well all pipes will blue a little bit. It's due to the heat. The fact that the outer two are bluing more than the rest would seem to indicate to me that those two cylinders are running hotter (probably running lean). If the bike sat around for extended periods of time (and the mileage implies that) then there is the possibility that the carbs are not 100% clean. Run some Seafoam for a tank or two and see if it makes any difference. Otherwise it may just need some tuning (jet kit, carb sync).

As for the shifting...does the oil look clean to you through the sight glass? Not knowing what they put in there it would just be cheap insurance to change the oil with a motorcycle specific one and make sure the clutch is properly adjusted. It should not be shifting hard at all. Best of luck with it...

Oil looks clean, and just below the high level. I have ran two tanks of sea foam. Today as I was leaving work It was not running good at all. I ended up changing the plugs. # four was fouled with unburnt gas( I think that is what was making it run badly), and 1 - 3 were a little dark. just not crispy like I would think if the bike was running lean. I re adjusted the Exup and noticed that the lock nut was 6 turns loose on one of the cables. I am looking to get a set a balance gauges so when I do clean the carbs I can rebalanced them.

Thanks for the help. :bowdown:

Back