Exhaust Backfiring

I have recently replaced the OEM silencer with a Beowulf Warrior can and gutted the cat in the headers.

This caused the usual popping through the airbox so I did the ais block and fitted a K&N filter.

The result is a much improved ride but when shifting 1st to 2nd I often get a backfire from the exhaust and my riding buddies tell me this is accompanied by a shot of flames.

This is a little embarrassing through town so I was wondering if everyone else has the same experience or if there is a solution, perhaps by fitting a PCV?

Cheers, Biff :D

UPDATE: After a 200 mile run yesterday I realised the backfiring is actually on and off the gas in 3rd gear. Good excuse for a PCV and play with a few different maps.

The mentioned phenomenon generally happens with fitment of an aftermarket endcan as the EXUP valve is disconnected hence the back pressure in the manifold is not restricted. The same effect would amplify if the CAT in the headers are removed. This would be predominantly noticeable if you ride the bike bit hard.

Last edited:
Back