Exaust header cleaning tips

When I got my 2008 FZ1 it had been a daily driver so the exhaust headers had a off whitish baked on coating on them. NO polishes or chemicals even began to remove that stuff....but...I had cleaned an old set of chromed exhausts before with Fine Bronze Wool and that took that baked on stuff right off and left the pipes shining and without scratches (which you would likely get from steel wool). Finish up by using a quality paste polish...like Autosol. Voila...they look like new !!

Did this a while back on my FZ6, but same approach will work on FZ1: 800 grit wet sanding. Then 1000 grit wet sanding. Then Metal Polish (Turtle Wax brand) with polishing ball + drill
Then electronics cleaner (any alcohol based, quick drying cleaner) to remove residual oil from touching the pipes.

Before and after:

filthy1.jpg

clean1m.jpg

Now is there a sealer or coating that will mean all the scratches don't get rusty within a week? metal polish and hope does not work to well I have found. Anyone coated the headers with any success.

Now is there a sealer or coating that will mean all the scratches don't get rusty within a week? metal polish and hope does not work to well I have found. Anyone coated the headers with any success.

I've never had rust. Just yellowing and baked on crap.
Having said that, lots of people get'em ceramic-coated with very good results. I believe it costs about $200 or so.

Others have used high heat paint which will require occasional touching up.

Looks good;),but now you better start on the motor

Did this a while back on my FZ6, but same approach will work on FZ1: 800 grit wet sanding. Then 1000 grit wet sanding. Then Metal Polish (Turtle Wax brand) with polishing ball + drill
Then electronics cleaner (any alcohol based, quick drying cleaner) to remove residual oil from touching the pipes.

Before and after:

filthy1.jpg

clean1m.jpg

I use Bon Ami (similar to bar keepers friend )mixed with a small amount of water to make a paste. Then use it as polish, with a rag. Then I apply a metal cleaner like blue magic. Wolf tamer has a article on doing this.

Back