Ever had an issue with a cager?

After the post about the range rover I wanted to ask who else has had issues with cagers? A few weeks ago I was on the wifes 8 and was on my way to work on a main drag of town. Some a**hat was driving 37 according to her uncorrected speedo. There was a line of cars behind them. So when I got a chance I kicked down and hammered it. I passed all of the (5 or so) I know its not really the best idea but I cant stand crap like that. Anyway a few miles down the road one of the trucks I passed was riding my tail. I flipped on my blinker to turn and he dodged to the other lane and I turned. I noticed he was turning around, I headed up the road at a pretty decent rate... Came to the stop light and noticed he was still coming up behind me. I had plenty of time to stop and pull off my helmet. (I could've outran him yeah) He pulled up and started screaming at me for driving like an a$$hole (rant,rant). I calmly asked him if he would like me to punch his F****ng teeth down his throat? He said wanna try motherf***er. I quickly replied Oh yeah! And proceeded to head to the drivers side of the truck and he sped off.
I thought he definitely over reacted to the whole thing. Granted I was a bit of an A$$ passing 5 cars at once but really...
Anyone else had issues like this?

Yes, several times when on my bicycle. I was knocked off and kicked in the head in Denver back in '82 or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I firmly believe in what I preach in MSF.. a motorcycle does not win against any other vehicle on the road, so act accordingly.
Of course it's incredibly frustrating being stuck behind 5 cars all going way too slowly, but what can you expect when you overtake all 5 at once? The 4 cars behind 1 slow one are just as frustrated as you and you blow by them. There's a great chance someone's gonna have a nice flare-up of road rage and you better pray at that point they don't decide to ram you, because they easily can and you WILL lose that battle.

It's just not worth it. Glad it ended without anyone getting hurt!

Had a beer bottle thrown at me, cut off by some vatos, kicked down and to the head. Fun times by all! Good thing I have a photographic memory, found a police station and pressed charges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I've done the multiple car pass before. As long as it's clear, I don't see a problem with the pass, just others' perception. The motorcycle has the acceleration and ability to do the pass and 99% of cars don't. The problem is people who have never ridden a non-cruiser (most people) don't understand that, therefore they don't look for someone to make a pass like that. I assume the guy in the truck wanted to pass and either didn't think he had enough time, thus you couldn't, or he wanted to pull out and pass and you stopped him.

Funny it made him mad that he might have hurt you and his response was to threaten to hurt you. I have gotten hotheaded in the past, but in my advanced years, I find that remaining calm and speaking politely (even when you want to scream obscenities) usually wins most arguments, or at least makes you look like the good guy. I tell my kids, the first one to swear in an argument is the looser. It means they have run out of reasonable thoughts.

You admit you had a part in this. Both sides have blame. I always try to think how my actions effect cagers' perception of motorcycle riders. Since I'm one of the few people in my area to ride a non-cruiser, what I do may change how cagers view 'sport bikes' if they even can tell a difference. There are a$$hats driving every type of vehicle, in every profession, I try (unsuccessfully at times) not to be one of them.

I assume the guy in the truck wanted to pass and either didn't think he had enough time, thus you couldn't, or he wanted to pull out and pass and you stopped him.

Spot on! Here's the real issue though: can you be certain that none of the 4 cars stuck behind the slow one will pull out into you, as you overtake them? This maneuver is a big gamble. It does depend on the particular road; for example one with wide shoulders and no driveways on the other side.. at least you have space for escape should any of the cagers do the *worst*, which you should absolutely expect and anticipate. If the road has no run-off and driveways.. people pulling out of driveways on the other side to go right will NOT look right.. they will look left and start to move.. where do you go then??

None of us are perfect and we can't be composed 100% of the time, but we have to try.. for sake of not ending up a statistic and not ending our riding careers prematurely.

Odd One

The only issue I can recall involved a man who was either drunk or high. I was on my Electra Glide. He kept pulling up next to me and yelling but I don't think he was angry. I think he was trying to talk to me but nothing he said made any sense. I was just afraid because he was driving erratically and getting way to close from stop light to stop light. I just nailed the gas and took the first turn I could find. He turned in behind me but after that i was able to lose him.

I was a bit of an A$$ passing 5 cars at once

I dont think so.

Look, I drive for a living, and so my trucks arent real fast. You wanna pass? As long as its clean, go ahead. When Im driving my personal pickup, I also drive slower (usually), Again, If its clean, go ahead.

People get bent outta shape over the silliest things.

I dont think so.

Look, I drive for a living, and so my trucks arent real fast. You wanna pass? As long as its clean, go ahead. When Im driving my personal pickup, I also drive slower (usually), Again, If its clean, go ahead.

People get bent outta shape over the silliest things.

See.. that's just it! If every driver was as nice as you, we'd never have any issues, would we? Unfortunately, most drivers are NOT like that! They may be very nice people, but they may also turn into different *animals* when they're driving. The more you do things which can potentially set someone off, the more likely you are to experience a confrontation.

My favorite are the jerks that feel the need to race to the next stoplight. They get on your tail and you can almost feel their breath. Funny thing is that most towns have the lights synchronized so you can get all the greens at or slightly above of below the speed limit. You get funny looks from them as the light turns green and you drive past them.

i do all the time, i ignore them and speed off. if stopped by a cop you are covered, you feared for your life and left the situation as safely as possible.

ADV Salute

I was riding down one of our largest freeways in Calgary (a small side street to those in the U.S.) and a car pulled up along side. The driver of the car with a huge smile gave me the one finger salute! For just a second I was confused having not done anything wrong (in my opinion, or knowledge). Then I saw the ADV sticker on his car and understood! He was a fellow dual sport rider giving me the traditional salute, so I waved back (with all my fingers). Any other motorist that witnessed that exchange were as confused as I was at the start, I'm sure.

One of my drivers was just telling me how two blocks from our yard he witnessed a motorist coming up to a stop sign on his left (my driver was on a through street with no stops or signals) that appeared to have no intention of stopping. That same motorist blew through the stop sign and across 4 lanes of opposing traffic without so much as slowing. As he passed in front of my truck he had a cell phone held up in front of his face! It was by shear dumb luck he didn't get hit, or hit someone, doing it (oblivious to the whole world outside). Only two weeks earlier a motorcyclist was killed one block away from our shop on that same road, by a truck turning left into his path. That happened to me in the dark at 06:00 this morning but I was anticipating it and was able to avoid the pick up truck to live another day. It is getting bad out there. Freaking out doesn't help the situation but damn it is tempting.

This.

I have found over the years that doing my best to separate myself from the disgruntled driver is the best thing to do, and with my FZ1 or my STI, that is pretty easy to do.

I could've out ran him but I definitely made it a point to avoid him and he went waaaay out of his way to come yell at me.
Also being on the wifeys bike I didn't want him to see the bike (not the rider) and pull something stupid while I'm not there. I think when I bent over to look into the window of his silverado he thought twice...
I don't see why he got so bent out of shape about it, and to catch up to me he had to have been driving more like an a** than me, just to tell me I was an a**.

Last edited:
I could've out ran him but I definitely made it a point to avoid him and he went waaaay out of his way to come yell at me.
Also being on the wifeys bike I didn't want him to see the bike (not the rider) and pull something stupid while I'm not there. I think when I bent over to look into the window of his silverado he thought twice...
I don't see why he got so bent out of shape about it, and to catch up to me he had to have been driving more like an a** than me, just to tell me I was an a**.

No doubt his behavior was unjustified, but in the end, the only thing that matters is that he has a cage around him and you don't. If the situation escalates enough, you can't win. As I said earlier, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Learn from it. Remember how easy it is to pi** people off and that you're the most vulnerable road user out there.

No doubt his behavior was unjustified, but in the end, the only thing that matters is that he has a cage around him and you don't. If the situation escalates enough, you can't win. As I said earlier, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Learn from it. Remember how easy it is to pi** people off and that you're the most vulnerable road user out there.

Quoted for posterity

Wise words

And on top of the potentially deadly cage, you never know if some crazy idiot has a gun and is crazy enough to pull it out and use it. Sad, but true in today's world. :shame:

Back