Engine problem? I hope not..

Sevinsky

Hey guys, I'm not sure if it was just the combination of a higher octane gas and it being quite cold outside, or something else, hoping its the first two... but I went out on the highway tonight and when I went to roll on, my bike just sort of settled at 10k rpms... I could keep putting the throttle on, but it wouldn't go up, switched gears to second and third and it did the same thing. I could barely get over 80mph and then I just stopped trying. I really hope its just that little problem. The bike has been running fine all throughout the winter so it shouldn't be the cold... maybe the fuel line is kinked? I just installed my Retro kit and put a completely new tank on and filled it to the top with 89 gasoline, I usually run 87 all the time, no problems. I went to Penn state last week in the cold with 87, no problem at highway speed or higher...

Any thoughts?

I would check the fuel line. Seems to me that it's running out of fuel and check the tank for trash, being a new tank if it had any in it it could have stopped up a filter. Would rule out the quality of fuel, i run premium in mine, plus if it was it should be sputtering through out the revs, not just leveling off.

Just remember that when you pull up the tank the kink may straiten out, look all over it for signs and let it down slowly and watch how the fuel line lays down. Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect the line and reconnect it while you are under there. When you disconnect it it shuts the fuel off, may not have opened all the way back up when you connected the line to the new tank.

Replace it and be done with it. You can take that line off the two ends and use an 18" piece of high pressure EFI fuel line and two EFI fuel clamps. I replaced both mine and my wife's FZ1 fuel lines even though her line wasn't kinked (mine was). However, even with a kinked line, my bike still did not act like yours is now. Could be a kinked vent line too since the tank was replaced. This would cause the tank to create a vacuum and slow/halt fuel delivery. If you have an air compressor, open the gas cap and blow air into the vent port and you should hear it coming out the end of the tube unrestricted. If it resists then you have a kink in the vent line you need to find.

:shine:
Replace it and be done with it. You can take that line off the two ends and use an 18" piece of high pressure EFI fuel line and two EFI fuel clamps. I replaced both mine and my wife's FZ1 fuel lines even though her line wasn't kinked (mine was). However, even with a kinked line, my bike still did not act like yours is now. Could be a kinked vent line too since the tank was replaced. This would cause the tank to create a vacuum and slow/halt fuel delivery. If you have an air compressor, open the gas cap and blow air into the vent port and you should hear it coming out the end of the tube unrestricted. If it resists then you have a kink in the vent line you need to find.

The vent port, is that the small orange rubber piece you see when you open the thank?

I'm with the others on the kinked fuel line, especially since you just replaced the tank. 89 octane fuel would have nothing to do with the issue. Seems like a classic fuel starvation issue...

If the fuel line isn't the source of the problem check the coils. If there is a bad one they can begin to fail at high rpms preventing the motors from fully rev'ing.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Hoping for the kinked line, if also a possibility (FZ1inNH) remember the broken bar on for the flies? I am going to open the airbox and check that out too. It is happening consistently around 10k rpms, any gear. SO, off to look at it right now...

WARNING IMAGES ARE VERY LARGE

TO ZOOM OUT AND VIEW THEM AS THEY SHOULD BE HOLD Ctrl and either press the - key a few times or scroll down with your mouse wheel at the same time.
Ctrl and -
Ctrl and mouse scroll down.

Problem located.... Yeah thats quite a kink..

img20120203104549.jpg

img20120203104553.jpg

img20120203104559.jpg

img20120203104626.jpg

img20120203104643.jpg

img20120203104651.jpg

img20120203104658.jpg

Oh yea, that would certainly do it!!! Glad you found the issue.

By the way next time you can upload the images as attachments to the thread and they will get automatically re-sized to a friendlier size ;)

Oh yea, that would certainly do it!!! Glad you found the issue.

By the way next time you can upload the images as attachments to the thread and they will get automatically re-sized to a friendlier size ;)

Thanks, i usually use imageshack to do it, but i forgot to resize them.

Back