Engine is missing...

dodger06

So my sister and I went for a ride today, and about 6 miles from home my engine started missing. I noticed that it just didn't sound right, pulled over, and sure enough you could hear that at least one cylinder isn't firing, and there was a slight ticking (sounded like from the valves). Of course the exhaust smelt like unburnt gas also.

So when I got home I checked the header pipes. The far right cylinder (when sitting on the bike) had a "cool" exhaust pipe, when compared to the others.

First thing I'm gonna do is check the spark plug. I recently bought the bike from a local dealer (about 1200 miles ago), and I think they put new plugs in before I bought it. Let's just hope that I fouled a plug.

If not, anybody have any ideas what else it could be? I don't think it would be carb trouble, since there is raw gas coming out of the exhaust...

Well, didn't get time to look at it today. I did try to show it to my dad so he would know whats happening (used to be an Auto Mechanic through the mid 90s). And of course, the bike worked fine, just took about 5 seconds longer than usual to get running.

Pulled the wires off the two outside plugs and it sounded like it did when it was acting up. I'm starting to think that since it was mid 90's outside that maybe I had vaporlock in a carb or two. I do know I'm only using 89 octane (all the local station carries) and the manual calls for 91 octane. Does anyone know if that would make much of a difference?

Still gonna look into the plugs and coils, but hoping it was just vaporlock. I guess I may need to take the 20 mile trip to get the 91 octane.

there was a period of time when I too was experiencing the same thing.....existed between 3-5k where it would want to cut out, and then would sputter around 7.5k above.

I had originally thought bad gas....may not be your solution, but check it out -- the air filter, I had a piece of a leaf that got in the box and had situated itself in a manner to act like a flapper and restrict the airflow to the carbs....

it was intermittent, but cleaned, and my problem went away....

not the most in depth analysis, but been running smooth since.

Adam

Brohay, so it was covering just a portion where the sub throttle plates are? That's a great find! I threw out the plug and coil just 'cause one of his pipes was cool to the touch, which tells me no sparky sparky. :) or at least intermittent no sparky. This is a great forum for info, LOVE IT!!

Well, didn't get time to look at it today. I did try to show it to my dad so he would know whats happening (used to be an Auto Mechanic through the mid 90s). And of course, the bike worked fine, just took about 5 seconds longer than usual to get running.

Pulled the wires off the two outside plugs and it sounded like it did when it was acting up. I'm starting to think that since it was mid 90's outside that maybe I had vaporlock in a carb or two. I do know I'm only using 89 octane (all the local station carries) and the manual calls for 91 octane. Does anyone know if that would make much of a difference?

Still gonna look into the plugs and coils, but hoping it was just vaporlock. I guess I may need to take the 20 mile trip to get the 91 octane.

Did you find out what the issue was?

Did you find out what the issue was?

Sorry it took so long to respond. Got busy with the end of my internship and starting another semester of College.

I basically didn't do anything and it hasn't acted up yet. So I think it was just vaporlock from low grade fuel on a hot day.

Back