Engine Ice = Hyped JUNK!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Well, I bought into the hype.... I have said here on the forum after researching that Engine Ice was supposed to be the cat's meow.

Today, I think I proved that this ISN'T the case and my case of Engine Ice is no better than the Walmart coolant....

As you know, Michele has a stock FZ1 and even has the fairings on it. I'm beginning to think that fairings are the better answer to a cooler bike. Michele and I ride with Scala headsets and yakked all day long. Periodically, she or I would inquire with each other about the coolant temp we were running. She's on stock coolant, I have Engine Ice as of yesterday. She's fully faired and I and 1/4 with the lower cowl. All day long, I was running 3 - 8 degrees HOTTER than her and yes, we were in the same gear, typically cruising in 6th. We are both one stock gearing again too. Having two FZ1s to compare against each other is very helpful!

My conclusion is that I was :hook2: and that the web sites :Liar: to me. I have to give this product a firm :disapproval: . I should be :spank2: for giving in to the hype and feel like a :retard: for spending that kind of money.

I really did never understand why people would switch their street bikes to that stuff. Seems like a waste of money

It was because it was developed by racers and motorcycle enthusiasts and they absolutely lay claim to lowered temperatures on and off the street. The only redeeming factor for this purchase is that I bought a product that is environmentally safe and harmless to animals should it spill. Outside of that, it has done nothing to lower the temp on MY bike and may have made it rise in the end. I swear, there is nothing in the system outside of what came out of the bottle!

When Amevl and I ran side by side in 90 + degree temps I was always 15 to 20 degrees cooler. Is this a fact of the engine ice or Modded bikes with out a PC and proper fueling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric before you trust the dealer get a cheap dyno IE dyno a/f done. I used engine ice in the FZ because of the difference in made with the triumph I owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's a question: Why does it matter? Presumably, the manufacturer sets the cooling system up to run in a certain range for longevity and emissions and the like--why do people use this stuff in an attempt to run cooler?

With engine oils and engine design tolerances light years beyond what they were 20 years ago, there's certainly no worry for that kind of thermal breakdown; so what is the reason?

Interesting stuff

There is nothing wrong with trying new things.
I'm real bad about wanting to get "The newest thing" or something "Developed by racers". Marketing geniuses know our weaknesses and use them against us.
Live and learn.
I do appreciate the heads up. That is what makes these forums fantastic. We can share our experiences and get real life feedback instead listening to so called "Expert Analysis" and "Independent Studies" :disapproval:

The engine ice worked for me.. My bike runs cooler than it did before, and when I get on the highway it holds quite a bit cooler a temp than it used too. Also takes a LOT longer to creep up to 212 and kick the fans on.

I like the stuff personally. Will continue to use it.

While I rarely do, I have to disagree with you. I know for a fact mine runs 15 to 20 degrees cooler then it did before the Engine Ice. 8 degrees is really not a determining factor, one may run hotter then the other because of a lot of different items. Texas heat and daily riding on my machine proves to me it works fine. But we all have our preferences. :)

You really can't compare your wife's bike with your bike because you have made modifications to your bike that altered the operating temperatures. Airbox mods, a differerent radiator grille, and a different exhaust, plus whatever other mods you have made in the engine operation have changed the thermodynamic equation, the cooling systems are seeing different heat loads. Even difference in driver weight and aerodynamics will have an effect. Plus there is always the variability of the temperature sensors from one bike to the other. Too many variables here to categorically state it does or does not work.

The only true way to measure if it works or not is to take two box stock bikes and run them side by side and compare the temperature variations to get a baseline, and then change one of the bikes coolant out to Engine Ice and run them side by side again and compare the temperature variations. Anything less than that and you are flying blind.

The other issue to me is compatibility. Some years ago Gold Wing water pumps were being damaged by the use of antifreezes containing silicates. Honda had a mess on their hands before it was all sorted out. Even my wifes Subaru was recalled some years ago for a mismatch in antifreeze and the head gasket material which required the addition of a special conditioner to prevent deterioration. I would be hesitant to put anything in the bike that wasn't approved by the manufacturer. We have three liquids in our machines (oil, fuel, coolant); we use specific engine oil approved for these engines, use gas of a certain quality, yet are willing to dump some unknown substance into the cooling system because it is supposed to make it run cooler. They can say it is harmless but it's a chemical product with unknown long term consequences. I'll pass on that until Yamaha engineers give a thumbs up for its use. Until then I'll stick to what it says in the service manual.

Last edited:
:D This is great stuff all! I love that we all have a different point of view and create a great discussion.

I have no doubt that some of you are seeing lower temps. I really should have further quantified my position with this stuff by saying "My bike ran at the same temps as her bike before the introduction of Engine Ice. It now runs 3 - 8 degrees hotter." Before, we were matched most of the time. Yesterday, I ran hotter. The only change was all my tune-up work. I don't see any of that making a difference in the way the engine operates regarding temperature.

The people who developed this stuff claim 10 - 15 degrees cooler. This is from racers who mod their bikes a TON more than I have or can afford to and they claim to see this difference. I'm not. I'm not saying all of you will not see a difference but for me, this is nothing more than reporting my own personal facts regarding this product. Here, on my bike, it doesn't hold water, it doesn't work and if anything, it made my bike run even hotter.

Evitzee, you have some interesting points but I disagree with the comparison theory. I can simplify the whole process by merely changing her coolant to Engine Ice and we should, according to the manufacterer, see her temps fall 10 - 15 degrees without making a single modification to the bike, correct? ;) I think that would work...

@Missy, I have no problems with you disagreeing with me (or anyone else). This is healthy discussion/debate and it wouldn't be right to have everyone agree. :tup:

I am just telling my experience based on the facts I am presented with. Please don't think I'm telling any of you what you should/should not buy or use for your own bike.

Keep this going! :yes:

I would be nice if we could figure out why its not really working for some and working as stated for others. It's a little weird same bikes dramatically different results.

One would think.... that no matter the mods, if this stuff is supposed to run any engine cooler, it would. I didn't mod the bike. All these mods have been in place for quite some time before introducing Engine Ice so, if the bike was running at 195 with these mods, then Engine Ice *should* have dropped it to 180 - 185 at the same speed/gear/weather conditions. The fact that I have another FZ1 to compare to with live feedback (Thank you Honey!!) is a huge bonus. Even with my mods, we always ran close to the same temp on any given day. Now, My bike is hotter.

Red card... flagrant foul... on this FZ1 anyway... :D

Back