Effect on mpg of after market air filter?

drmgillan

I am curious to know what is the effect of changing your stock air filter to a k&n filter have on the mpg/fuel economy or doing the air box mod?
Also how much do u gain in power ?

Most EFI cars get better mileage as the filter gets dirty. Less air leads to less fuel and less HP so better mileage. The reverse side of this is the better the motor runs, the more you tend to flog the motor and the mileage plummets.

Depending on the EFI programming, some ECUs are better at adapting than others. I have never tested this one to see if it has long term fuel trims.

Beast

Most EFI cars get better mileage as the filter gets dirty. Less air leads to less fuel and less HP so better mileage. The reverse side of this is the better the motor runs, the more you tend to flog the motor and the mileage plummets.

Beast

Is this true? Maybe if you baby the throttle while the filter's dirty. I've found that a clean filter (engine runs better) and being light on the throttle produces the most MPG. Usually when my filter is dirty I'm most likely harder on the throttle since the car or bike doesn't want to get out of its own way...

I may be wrong, this has just been my experience.

Back