Earphone recommendations

Now that I'm done riding a bike with a loud as fuck Two Bros exhaust, I can actually listen to music while riding. Do you guys have any recommendations for some good in-ear earphones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have met a few riders who use the custom earplugs with headphones built in. PM OneSizeFitsAll for info as he uses this set up.

I'd recommend the noise-cancelling type at the very least or you will damage your hearing

Etymotic FTW! I rock the hf5 earphones personally. I teach middle school band and use their hi fidelity ear plugs. The hf5 earphones are probably the BEST earphones I've ever heard music out of. Not to mention, they come with four different types of tips for your comfort. These are not your super marketed bose, sony, beats, etc earphones. These are ACTUALLY good quality earphones that don't get endorsements from celebrities.

All of their products can accept a mold of your ear for extra comfort. The only problem is that you need to go to an audiologist to get the mold made.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - Earphones

Amazon has them for a good price.

Don't mean to highjack your thread but just curious about the safety of using earphones or music whilst riding. I was just wondering if some of the more experienced members care to comment.
Thanks

Been riding since 1976 and I use earplugs to mute the noise but do not listen to music. One of the main reasons I ride is to relax, get away from it all, and just be by myself where I can do some serious contemplation. I don't want my music to intrude on that space. We are bombarded by music and noise everywhere we go these days, I don't know why we feel we have to have it on the bike as well. If I was touring for days on end I maybe could see the point of music during the long days to cut the boredom, but if I'm going out for 3-4 hours I really don't need my music with me. I believe music while riding does detract from your attention to the issues on the road. But that's just me.

Don't mean to highjack your thread but just curious about the safety of using earphones or music whilst riding. I was just wondering if some of the more experienced members care to comment.
Thanks

Personally, I prefer not to have music and only ride with ear plugs. I'm not a big music person anyway but I think it's an unnecessary distraction in an urban setting. I can see the appeal when on long trips, though.

No problem with thread jacking. To each his own. I wore earplugs only until I bout this FZ a few weeks ago. Now that I'm riding a more relaxed ride vs. how I rode when I had a sportbike, I want to be able to listen to some relaxing music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was just wondering how much earbuds impair your sense of hearing, I ride mostly in an urban setting where all senses are put the the test, everything possible to keep u heard and seen plays an important role. Seen lots of guys ride with no helmets lights out, indicators don't work, no mirrors on their bikes (believe that mirrors make u look like a learner) guess that's why they call the squids.
Actually I've thinking about air plugs, my exhaust are loud, think it makes cages more aware of ur presence and they usually yield, and keep their distance, so going back to stock is not an opinion. Lol
:teeter:

Ear plugs don't completely cut out the sound. What they do is filter out a lot of the unnecessary sound that doesn't provide you any information--stuff like wind noise, road noise, your engine and driveline, etc. IMO, you don't lose out on any important information.

Loud pipes don't save lives I'm afraid. It's a popular myth that is debunked if you read any practical riding books; the science just isn't there.

I'm sure the forum is sick of hearing me say it but I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. It's a very informative book to say the least and will bust open the myths of riding. :)

Last edited:
Helmetaudio.com Slim helmet speakers that stay in your helmet. its what i use, this way i dont have to screw around with trying to keep all the wires straigt.

This may be the most expensive alternative, but it can have enough benefits to justify the expense, or maybe not. I use the Scala Rider G4 system (newest is the G9). It will hook up bluetooth to your phone/music player. It will also work for phone conversations (I've used it at 80mph) and rider to rider up to 1 mile.

I originally got it as communication for bike-to-bike with my wife. I don't always listen to music when I ride, but when I do, I prefer the G4 system...
original.jpeg

I got both books and they simply are a must if you are just starting out. I lend them out regularly to my buddies. With regards to music, I don't believe there is much one misses between ridding with ear plugs and music with regards to feedback from other drivers etc. What I don't miss, which has already been stated, is the road and wind noise. I don't really hang around cages much anyway, of course most of my commute is freeway but other than perhaps a siren coming from your side on side streets, I don't see what if anything, I would benefit from hearing and even that, I think I'd catch the lights coming...I'd say that ear plugs are the way to go if you still want to be able to hear something. On long trips though the generic plugs will bury themselves into your skull ouch! I think the custom ones are definitely the way to go with helmets IMO.

Ear plugs don't completely cut out the sound. What they do is filter out a lot of the unnecessary sound that doesn't provide you any information--stuff like wind noise, road noise, your engine and driveline, etc. IMO, you don't lose out on any important information.

Loud pipes don't save lives I'm afraid. It's a popular myth that is debunked if you read any practical riding books; the science just isn't there.

I'm sure the forum is sick of hearing me say it but I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. It's a very informative book to say the least and will bust open the myths of riding. :)

Last edited:
I use the chatterbox xbi. speakers mount inside my helmet so I still get all of the road noises and douche bags yelling @ me. lol! i dont mind the music aspect cuz music is a huge part of me. I love music, it can make a ride or break it. some dubstep on pr37 is outstanding. gets me in a groove.:icon_beer:

Skullcandy Titans with Comply tips here. I use them with my Sena unit and they work great! I just set my max volume in a quiet environment and don't exceed it to compensate for the background noise. They don't offer as much attenuation as ear plugs, but are very close. I too have a Two Bros., but I run the P1X tip and it is perfect.

Back