Dyno'd but disappointed...

Stuuk1

Hi guys/gals..

So, after buying my bike (genII fz1 06) and discovering it had terrible mpg I decided to get it dyno'd at an approved dynojet garage.

The bike has:

Power Commander 3
Ignition Module
Factory Pro Velocity Stacks
Full Akro Exhaust System
Fixed Open Secondary Flies
The airbox is cut to allow more air and cables re-routed out of airbox.

The dyno came out as 141bhp. I've been told that I should have expected between 150 and 155, is this true?

If not then what would anyone recommend adding next? Quite tempted to add some extra horses ;)

Thanks!

The number's not really worth bothering about, it will change from one dyno to another.
The most important thing is whether the fuelling was ok. If it was, that's what matters.

Its a custom that has again been tweaked to suit my bike, the fueling is a million times better for me as I do motorway riding... Just expected the number to be higher haha!

Don't let dyno numbers fool you into thinking it's all about numbers. For years bikes making a few H.P. or TQ less than others have kicked their butts on the street and the track. It's far more important that the power is delivered in a manner that can be used by the rider. With the newer traction control software and hardware that is being developed, it is clear that by reducing power can actually make the bike, or car, for that matter quicker and much easier to control. So, if you like the way the bike runs and delivers, get out and enjoy the bike instead of worrying about some nebulous number you are chasing.

Remember this when looking at Dyno numbers: The only dyno numbers that you can accurately compare are those done on the same EXACT dyno with the same environmental conditions. The reason make the runs is to maximize the potential of your bike and perfect the Air fuel ratio. You could take a guy's bike that Dyno'd 152 at sea level and no humidity move it up to 2500 feet, add some humidity and lose 5-10 hp and that is considering the same dyno. All Dynos have correction factors to fix this but some dyno operators that are chasing a specific # for their customers have been known to manipulate the correction to achieve this.

dynamometer information site

Remember this when looking at Dyno numbers: The only dyno numbers that you can accurately compare are those done on the same EXACT dyno with the same environmental conditions. The reason make the runs is to maximize the potential of your bike and perfect the Air fuel ratio. You could take a guy's bike that Dyno'd 152 at sea level and no humidity move it up to 2500 feet, add some humidity and lose 5-10 hp and that is considering the same dyno. All Dynos have correction factors to fix this but some dyno operators that are chasing a specific # for their customers have been known to manipulate the correction to achieve this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is an excellent resource for those who want to learn a little more in depth how dynos work, the types, etc.

Steve's DIY Dyno - Steve's Dyno Home Page

Keep in mind that the number you get from the operator of the dyno is always corrected for sea level - that is, the power you would see operating at sea level. Where I live at 3300 ft altitude, the correction is 16%, that is I should expect, or anyone visiting us here, should expect 16% less power than at sea level, or 84% of the 'dyno' value. This is done so one can compare 'apples to apples' between places.

Last edited:
Want to get quicker performance on the street? Get some track days under your belt and some instruction like Keith Code. We are too hung up on pure hp or torque, a talented rider on a stock FZ1 would blow most modded bikes off the racetrack. We put money in the hardware and ignore the software (between our ears).

Some dynos, the better ones anyway, have a weather station connected to them, baro, temp, etc. If the tuner is doing a run correctly they factor in the weather of that particular run.

There are many other factors too; tire pressure, how well the bike is strapped down, etc.

At a good tuner they'll take care of all of the variables. At the dealerships its hard to say what you got. At real tuning shops you get a good and even result.

Hint- look for shops with a Factory Pro brand dyno and a 4 gas meter.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I didn't, a mate did, then found his missus was pregnant so had to sell it, I got it for a steal!

Hi Stuuk1,Thats a good dyno result, 141hp on the back wheel must equal about 165hp on the crank. FZ1 Gen II stock is 150hp on the crank. To all male riders, never sell your FZ1 because of a women.

more important than dyno numbers is the rider.I have chased bikes that are are inferior in every way to the FZ but had a rider on board that had plenty of track time and left me in his exhaust.ride and enjoy!!!!

Thanks for your replies everyone, great advice, thank you.

I am absolutely loving the bike, I an tell a huge difference now it's been fuelled right, so much smoother through the gears.

Noticed a now have a leak of bright green fluid from somewhere... The joys of biking!!

Back