Dustin's ninth motorcycle...

That's very tempting, Doug! How late in the season do the roads to you start to become impassable?

Mid to late November the passes may have some snow. October is a good month, the days start to get real short in Nov.

Googler maps has it a mere 881 miles from you to me.

Cake on the 919 :cheers:

I have four day weekends. I wonder if I could make it there and back in time :)

It's a 919, you can do it.

I could meet you up in Weed, Ca and we could ride the Trinity Alps (North western CA) good stuff over there too!
That would save you close to 220 miles, 1 day down, ride 2 days on the sides of the tires and 1 day home. :cowboy:

I suppose it depends if you can take the time off!

My schedule would be:

Sunday - 600~ miles to Weed, CA
Monday - Meet you there and ride
Tuesday - Ride around back to Weed, CA
Wednesday - 600~ miles home

Not too bad! :)

Conti Motions are going on. The date stamp says they were made recently, maybe yesterday. Oven fresh! Looking forward to getting my bike back tomorrow. Doug and I have some tentative plans for the end of September, looking forward to that as well :)

Pleased with the bike and starting to get comfortable with it. Barely ridden it! Only 700 miles or something since I bought it; looks like I need to go away for a few days

Last edited:
So, an update. It's been just over a month since I got my 919. It's got around 38,000 miles now and just under 2000 of those are mine.

The bike is awesome; I really, really like it. Everything about it is a good fit for me and I love how intuitive and easy to handle it is. It's better than the SV, which is supposed to be a very nice handling chassis (and it is). I haven't touched the rear shock but I just got my bike back from my mechanic and it's got fork springs & a service now.

The motor is very nice but not as economical as I was expecting. It may improve now that I've changed to fresh spark plugs but I'm seeing about 39 MPG average and my best was 46. I am finding it difficult to be economical when I ride it and that may be a contributing factor! I thought the drop in fuel economy would bother me but having a 5 gallon tank makes up for it and I really don't care.

I like light, fun bikes and this one sure fits the bill. It certainly doesn't feel like a big, bulbous heavyweight like my Gen 1 did. It's a litre bike that feels like a 600 :)

Happy times! :wilynily:

Shock is arriving Monday and I'm going to get it on the bike for Tuesday, along with new steering head bearings.

I've got brake issues again and I have no idea why. When I bought the bike, it had a warped rotor which was pulsing. I ordered some used ones off eBay and had them put on with new pads (turns out the brake pads it had on were mismatched!). The first 1000 km, the brakes were flawless. Shortly after I met up with Doug, I started to get pulsing again and it has continued to get worse. I took the calipers off and cleaned the pistons, scrubbed the pads and rotors with a Scotch Brite pad and doused everything in brake clean. The result was a very small improvement, nothing more.

Still loving the bike but I hate recurring issues like this

I'm pretty pumped for the built shock, though. I've never done this sort of thing to a bike before so I'm eager to see the results.

Last edited:
this post triggered me as I'm current on the market to buy such bike (known here as the 900Hornet) to replace my Gixxer as a track and funbike.
I love the Gixxer for the track, but for the road I'm I cant seem to enjoy it due to the clipon positions too uncomfortable for road use.

So Dustin I'll keep an eye on your expericences with this 919

Always liked those bikes. I often wondered why they did not have more success...maybe too little too late?

I think North America just doesn't like the sporty naked bike but I have no idea why.

DenArnold, I'll keep updating the thread as the mileage piles up. I've only put 4000 km on it so far so we shall see what comes of it over the winter :)

My 700S has front brake issues as well. I've replaced the pads, new brake lines, new fluid, bled several times took the pistons out cleaned etc. My parts bike has great front brakes and will be swapping the whole assembly out soon. May be just a bad caliper unit.

Who did your shock or did I miss read this ? Only think I didn't like about the 919 was the pegs are so close to the ground when turning. Fun bike though dude.

May be just a bad caliper unit.

Who did your shock or did I miss read this ? Only think I didn't like about the 919 was the pegs are so close to the ground when turning. Fun bike though dude.

I will have to look into the caliper thing. Maybe it needs a re-build.

I had a CBR F3 Showa shock re-built, re-valved and re-sprung for my 919 by Traxxion Dynamics. It should bolt in and is a few millimetres taller than the OEM unit.

Nice bike, congrats! So I'm just curious, after so many bikes which one is the favorite?

It's a tough question! I think the 919 is! I feel so connected to it, like I've been riding it for a decade & I got very comfortable with it very quickly. I'll have to think about that a bit more, though! :)

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for answering. I’ve had my FZ for a bit now and am getting the “second bike bug” :D (shh, don’t tell the wife) I’ve been looking at going way retro (fine I know it’s not that retro) like a 1973 but your recent purchase has me thinking maybe I shouldn’t go that retro…

Back