Dunlop Roadsmart II

I'm 9000 km into these tires now and I have developed some odd wear on the rear tire. See photo:

I emailed Dunlop for their thoughts and will keep you posted (if they reply). Any thoughts?

I'm 9000 km into these tires now and I have developed some odd wear on the rear tire. See photo:

I emailed Dunlop for their thoughts and will keep you posted (if they reply). Any thoughts?

Dustin these tires look as though they let go of silica that was in the carcass . I have a rear Roadsmart on its way for my Tenere, should i send it back ?
The Bridgestone is wearing VERY fast and i dont think im gonna get 5000 miles out of it.

Well, let's see what Dunlop has to say. The tire feels totally normal still and this is only happening in the centre. To be honest, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RSII and I have no reason to suspect the tire will fail on me.

Only 5000 miles from a T30? You hooligan! ;)

The 100 hp of fury! :)

Yeah and they are Canadian HP thats like 137 Merican HP !!
I have my new set for the Super Ten
9bfa15edfedd7ddb17cef6fe6aee9b62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunlop has asked me to send them the tire for further examination. They have been great to deal with so far and have graciously offered to send me a brand new tire and pay return shipping for the old one. I can't really ask for much better service, especially with a tire that's got 9000 km on it.

Last edited:
Agreed, they have made me a repeat customer for sure. I've been very happy with the RSII anyway but this level of service just seals the deal. When I dealt with that defective Avon front tire, they weren't anywhere near as helpful.

New rear is on and the old one is waiting for FedEx to pick it up. I asked Dunlop for some info once they've had a chance to inspect it and I'll post up if I hear anything back.

Last edited:
I can now report on winter performance. It has been consistently cold here, around -5 to 5 C, or around 23 to 40 F. Initially, I hadn't adjusted tire pressures much to compensate for the change in weather and the RS IIs weren't that great in the cold; they felt skittish and also very rigid. I dropped pressures way down, running around 32 front / 38 rear; it's much better now. Grip is quite good when the tires heat up and they give a decent feel as well. The only complaint I have is that they do take a long time to warm up and actually feel pretty wooden until they do.

I'm at around 12,000 km / 7500 miles on the front and am actually getting close to the wear bars in the middle. The front has also worn a little funny but seems to have resisted the 'cupping' I have seen on other ST tires like the T30 or Pilot Road 3.

I was considering running this front tire through the winter and trying a Q3 front tire but it's wearing down at a quicker rate than I expected. I may just order a new RS II front and throw it on instead. My rear is basically brand new still so it would make sense to simply run a new set of RS II.

Last edited:
Also, Dunlop couldn't find a cost-effective way to bring the tire in for examination. They told me to forget about it and requested that I drill holes in the sidewall and dispose of it. That's the first time I've ever made a hole in a tire! :)

I finally got to try out the Roadsmart 2 on the rear of the Super Ten today and i give it two thumbs up . A much softer tire than the Bridgestone T30 which means a better ride for the ST . Mated fine with the PR4 front which also seemed super smooth.[emoji631][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a new RS II front put on tomorrow; just under 13,000 km / 8000 miles on the current front but it's pretty squared off and cupped and I've had enough of it.

I'll see if I can get some photos of the new vs old for y'all

So I only managed to get some crummy smartphone photos but here goes.

Centre & right side with wear bars

You can kinda-sorta see the centre section which has worn flat, like the rear tire usually does

Right shoulder, trying to show the odd wear/cupping.

Back