DRL (Daytime Running Lights) mod

Always fancied those DRLs on cars. Whether it'd be the in-headlight strip units, or the ones that are bumper mounted. Also, I got myself some flushmount indicators, and soon my riding pals are always complaining that they can't see my indicator in their mirrors.

So I thought that I might make myself a DRL plus forward facing indicator to kill both birds with a single stone, so to speak.

Got myself 4 pairs of Bullet lights from here.

BikeVis | Unique lighting products for your Motorcycle

3 pairs white and 1 pair amber.

Then I mounted them right under the headlights, on the underside of the head cowl. Wired the 3 whites to my pole lights, and the ambers to my indicators.

Results: Click on pics to enlarge

And

Last edited:
Well that should offer plenty of additional visibility now. Here in the US we've had DLR on bikes for quite a few years now. I also added the little indicator lamps in the upper corners of the headlamps and wired them as an additional turn indicators.

In Canada DRL have been the norn for decades, so my lights are on always. I like your solution though. Anything that makes a bike or biker more visible (short of a broom bristle mohawk ;)) is good.

My 07 has them on all the time too....I also didn't use to but now I run the high beams all the time including at night. Does anyone else do the same? Sorry for the slight :hi jack:

BikeVis sells modulators for their LEDs too I believe.

Working around a 90+% duty cycle, it gives the LED a glinting effect (not blinking, that would be irritating or maybe illegal). One of those modulators can control up to 3 pairs of LEDs, IIRC.

And over at the other end, I installed a set of integrated indicators.
Normally, the tail lights are integrated, with the ambers thrown in. This is sort of the reverse. Indicators with brake lights.

Click to enlarge:

Just the indicators

Tapping the brake yields you

And if you're braking and indicating a turn, the LEDs will alternate

Last edited:
Back