Dragon's Tail in June 2014

Several of us are planning to do a trip to the Tail in 2014. I've done it once (on a cruiser) and am looking forward to returning on the FZ1. Last time, we were "just passing through" so we did a couple of runs on the Tail and then moved eastward to continue our trip.

This time, the Tail is the destination, but I know that there are lots of other great (some say better) roads in the area. Any suggestions? We'll certainly be doing a couple of runs on 129, but I would like to get away from the traffic and not have to worry quite as much about exceeding the speed limit by reasonable amount.

Do you have any favorite roads in the area? We're probably going to stay in Canton, TN and do a few "clover leaf" loops out from there. Planning for three days of riding, not including the time to get from Michigan to Tennessee.

You could always hook up with FZ1OA crowd. That rally is right there like June 6-8 I think at Fontana Village. You are at the corner of GA/TN, NC and there are MANY great roads all in a day trip from Fontana. That is why they do the rally there.

I always forget about my membership over at the "other forum" :dontknow:

Our dates are pretty much set. June 28-July 2. Dovetails nicely with some "forced" time off that some of my co-workers have to endure.

Funny you should ask, I just replied to a comment on my entry into this month's BOTM gallery - and the subject was more or less the Smokies/The Dragon.

Some of the high points in addition to 129 would be ... 28 headed out from Fontana towards Franklin or Bryson City, The Rattler (up near Hot Springs - but be forewarned, its like the Dragon, but with farm traffic, occasional gravel, and is not as well maintained), The Cherohala Skyway, Smoky Mountain National Park, Foothills Parkway, Happy Valley (also not so well maintained and with occasional rural residential traffic), and that bit of 129 from Fontana out towards Tapoco. Now I don't mean to make The Rattler and Happy Valley sound like ones that would be better left alone, I just wanted to offer the advice to stay on your proverbial P's and Q's while riding on those roads.

Fontana Village is a nice place to stay; the rooms are more expensive than the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, but the campsite was reasonably priced. The campsite is situated such that it is away from the main attraction, but still close enough so that it doesn't seem like a chore to get to the 'main event' riding.

And don't forget to have some pulled pork sandwiches while you're there. Those folks REALLY know what to do with a pig!

I'll be there the week of June 9 - 14... Staying in Robbinsville

Planning to ride the Dragon on June 9th and spend a day or two in the area before heading north. Look for a retro accompanied by a couple pirates on their hogs. Saskatchewan plates will be a clue.

Sorry that I'll miss you! I'd like to ride with another FZ1 at some point! I've only run into one other person on an FZ1, and he was from this forum.

Our trip will be an eclectic group... we've got an S1000RR, R1200R, a couple of SV's, a couple of big touring bikes (Victory Vision, K1600), and a few cruisers (Yamaha, Harley, Triumph), and a Super Tenere in addition to my FZ1. Probably a few more once the weather clears up and people stop thinking about riding and actually get out there and do it.

On every trip like this I start early with the "Ride Your Own Ride" mantra, and this one is no different. I'm not leading (I'm going to try to get some video footage on this trip), but the pace runs the full gamut of "spirited" to "leisurely."

Back