Doing 1000 miles in 24 hours Saturday! (with tracking link!)

schot1984

Attempting the Iron Butt Association "Saddlesore 1000" this Saturday with my friend who rides a BMW R1200RT.

Have a few routes planned out, we will chose one tomorrow. Will either be a straight out-and-back or a circle.

Anyone done anything like this on an FZ1?

Here is a link to the blog where you can track us. The tracker will be in use sporadically until Saturday when I will be turning it on full-time. For now it updates every four minutes, but I may change that.

Just did an oil change with Rotella T6 and supertech filter, my Metzeler Sportec M3's have less than 100 miles on them.

I should be set! Tips anyone? I already read the tips on IBA's site.

Best of luck to you. I too would like to try this some day. God I hope your not using the stock seat. If you are stop a your local high end bicycle shop and get some wicking padded bike unders.... could be the difference of 500 mi vs 1000 mi

Good luck to you guys. I just followed another 24 hour event a few weeks back through Super Streetbike Magazine. The guys rode from So. Cal to Canada in 24 hours. They all made it but said they'd never do it again. It's a cool thing to do if you have the stamina. I'm just past that age where 1,000 miles would be possible. I'm off Saturday, so I'll be checking it out. Have a safe trip!

I'm 27, 280lbs, 6'3"+ so the bike could fit me better; will be a real challenge!

Bike has sargent seat and hwy pegs. I didn't get a pair of bike shorts. I thought about it and looked at them, but the padded area is so small since it's made for a bike seat, I was afraid it would make pressure points.

I bought some smooth and tight sports boxer-briefs and I HAVE a seat pad I will probably put on and off the seat.

Not much is going to help after 500 miles I don't think, haha.

Good luck! Make sure your chain is happy before starting, then avoid touching it, unless it gets really awful... that many continuous miles it'll tend to get really hot, and when the chain stays hot, it stays loose....

Stay hydrated... wear a camelback if you have one...

I'm 27, 280lbs, 6'3"+ so the bike could fit me better; will be a real challenge!

Bike has sargent seat and hwy pegs. I didn't get a pair of bike shorts. I thought about it and looked at them, but the padded area is so small since it's made for a bike seat, I was afraid it would make pressure points.

I bought some smooth and tight sports boxer-briefs and I HAVE a seat pad I will probably put on and off the seat.

Not much is going to help after 500 miles I don't think, haha.

Good to hear you have the Hwy Pegs they make a big difference. Have fun you can dooo Ittttt!!

I would like go do this someday buy havent yet. And I recommend the bike shorts, I wear a cyclinf bib everytime I ride for more than a couple hours. So much more comfortable! I ride the bontrager race lite bib. And as I posted somewhere else they have a 30 day comfort gaurantee on their shorts. Id buy some and try it ay least. even the cheap ones are better than regular underwear. And like I said if you dont like them return them, you dont even have to tell them what youre using them for.

Also those guys that did the mexico to canada run are in my riding club. I wanted to do it but couldnt at the time.

Ride safe on saturday! Im jealous!

The closest I ever got to this type of event was a trip back from a conference in Minneapolis, back home to northern Michigan via Chicago, on a DL650 (which has a much better seat than any FZ1). I weight about 150 lbs and after about twelve hours of constant riding except for gas stops, which was about every 180 miles, I hated the machine, I hated my decision to ride it in one shot, and my rear had, and has never belt so bad in my entire life. Another thing I learned is the highway pegs may help your legs but all they do is shift the weight that would be on your legs to your butt. I think they do more harm than good for that kind of ride. The one thing you may have in your favor is a bit more cush in your rear than I have. I would recommend that anyone who tries this, stop when their legs start to cramp, wich they will, before you tip over at a gas stop. Good luck you may just set a record if you pull it off. By the way, my ride was 820 miles in 17 hours.

Well done! What was with the tape on your knees?

I rode from Denver to Phoenix many years ago, back when it was 55 mph. And that night I remember "everyone" lining up alone the freeway to wave at me! One of which was a giant cactus!!!

Great job guys! I gotta say that I looked at that picture of you on the highway all tucked up behind the screen, and you look way to tall to be comfortable on the FZ1. I'm glad you guys made it there and back with no issues, and well under the allotted time. What's your next goal???

Tape on my knee is because I crashed my sportster at deals gap two years ago and haven't bought new pants haha.

They have a coast to coast in 50hrs challenge I'd like to do but we'll see...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Back