Dog hair solutions

hey guys,

i was just wondering what some dog owners do about dog hair in the home and in the car. i use a furminator deshedding tool, but my dog still sheds a ton. it gets really bad in my car interior, and when i go vacuum my car, i can never get all the hair as it "weaves" itself into the fabric a bit. i have also tried the scotch fur fighter, but it doesn't work very well at all. i have been looking into some seat covers for the car as well, but have not made any purchases yet.

so tell me about some effective methods and products you have used that help with this problem.

Well I can tell you from experience that one thing right off the bat you can do is change or buy a better brand of dog food beleive it or not that does effect their shedding. My handler protection dog was a Belgian Malinios and he was a shedder. Other than vacum constantly in the house and car there isnt much you can do. Seat covers I would look at neopreme so you dont have the open fibers. In my truck I have a $3.00 shower curtain I use to spread out and cover my back seat. The furmenator is an excellent tool you can also try some spray on coat conditioners. I usually buy mine at Tractor Supply store if you go to the horse section they have Miracle Groom, blue bottle for coat conditioning (go to the horse secetion its 2 bucks cheaper) it smeels good and makes them shiney.

Hope this helps

Craig

Our best solution in the car was leather seats. Just wipe the hair off. Bug my great Dane gets the hair stuck in the headliner. I used a shedding blade to pull the hair out and vacuumed it up before we sold our nissan murano. We have a Great Dane, Boxer, and a lab mix. When we traded in the murano I told them we had dogs and they said they couldn't tell. In the house we built we decided on laminate flooring for the scratch resistance. I can say over the last 4 years my dogs have ran all over the house on the isn't on scratch. And in our other house with the hardwoods we had to have them refinished before we could sell. Only thing that hurts the laminates my lab dropping a bone of the dog couch and it leaves a small ding if it hits right. But I have extra boxes of the floor so if it gets bad I'll replace the area. Also it is great because you can sweep up the hair easily instead of it getting stuck in carpet.

Last edited:
We have a yellow lab, and I figure the hair is just part of having a dog. We manage it best we can, but they're still gonna shed some.

Other dog owners understand, and I'm not sure I want to be around many people that aren't dog owners. :cheers:

yeah, i figured that vacuuming and using the firminator were more or less the main options, but i didn't know if any of you had any ways that i've never heard before. thanks for the replies guys

I went through 2 top brand vacuums before I finally figured out that I needed a multi-layered approach. I use the Furmanator (as well as a generic "slicker" brush) to control the source. Then I use a carpet rake to pick up most of the hair. I picked this one:
41os-QyXJJL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Line-The-Universal-Rake/dp/B0002ZFNN2/ref=pd_sim_hg_7]Amazon.com: The Universal Rug Rake: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
It's like it was sent straight from Heaven!!!! LOL I was so sick of dog hair that I didn't know what to do!! This rake + vacuuming + grooming can tip the tide back in your favor.
Strange note: My $150 Bisell Pet Hair Vacuum outlasted my Dyson and a Kenmore that Consumer Reports rated #1 at picking up dog hair. I know people who swear by their Dyson and that's fine. I'm just giving information for anyone who is considering a purchase.

Back