Does your bike fit?

I tend to be a person who sees something that looks, sounds, or feels better than what I have and goes out and gets one. Then, in about three out of four cases, I'm not as happy with the new one as I thought I would be. This usually doesn't take much time and in most situations I'll know within a month of riding. I'm going on 59 (in about four months) and I try to believe I'm getting a little wizer and smarter as I age. When a person buys a new pair of shoes or boot they can tell on day one if they are going to work out. Although we may not be that quick with a motorcycle, I think we generally know if a new machine is going to fit the bill.
If only I hadn't sold my "84" 900R Ninja. I had it for about seven years then sold it because I thought it had capabilities beyond my own and I had other bikes that were not quit as sharply defined. The moment it left the driveway I knew I had made a mistake. Eleven years and eight bikes later, I have corrected that mistake with my "08" FZ1. It fits. I have no need for another bike. Did I get wizer? Maybe.

I have a similar experience, although I don't have many bikes (owned) to pull past experiences from to compare. My '01 is the first bike that I've owned.

I went back and forth with bikes when I was looking at new vs. used and I kept coming back to the FZ. At the time, it had lowering links and just had a better center of gravity from the stock position of the other bikes that I was considering and it was a no brainer in my mind. Ergos fit me fantastic, from the other models and the few changes that I've made, Gilles adjustable rearsets and GYTR lower link, I've just about got it dialed in.

The last piece of the puzzle is the handlebars. I'm toying with going for the more full on sportbike position (Suburban Machinery SM2) or a set of Rizoma's from PJ Parts.

I've upgraded the front shock with a swap from another board with a rebuild from Traxxion Dynamics. Although it is the first generation of their design and does not include the AK-20 cartridges, they will let me send them in and upgrade the springs to the newer specs and sprung for my correct weight for free with the only cost being the labor to service the forks while they install. The final piece of the equation will be to have the FOX rear racing shock rebuilt and sprung for my weight, and then I should be complete, except for the all various eyecandy mods that I'm wanting to do (paint bike/frame/engine, paint calipers, new front/rear discs, on the way are brembo street pads, Fren Tubo braided lines and some various aluminum pieces to start on the bike (that is the immediate short list)

I know that it is more of what I've done to the bike as opposed to overall fitment of the bike, but for my first bike, the bar has been set pretty high for all future purchases to be measured against.

BroHay

Last edited:
Back