Does anyone know what kind of bird this is?

I happened to glance out my window and saw this little guy walking (very awkwardly) in my front yard. Now this is strange because I live in central Texas. I took it by the animal shelter but it was just after 6pm. The after hours number eventually hooked me up with the local game warden.
LOL
I have never owned a bird so - just on a whim - I drove by the local pet store. LOL I said they could sell it if they wanted to but THEY FREAKED OUT!!! They kept talking about a $5K fine if they were in possession of that bird. LOL Now I'm thinking "I'm going to be pissed if I get fined because I saved this bird from being cat-bate". I didn't really think that would happen but I have seen stranger things........Like finding a tropical/exotic bird walking in my front yard ;)
OK - this bird is multi-colored with an extremely long neck (when it stretches it out). The legs/feet actually seemed to change colors. NO LIE!!! They legs feet were bright yellow when I caught him (I had to take my shirt off and throw it on him like a net) :D and when I took him to the pet store - those legs were bright green!!! Crazy!!!!
Well I thought I would see if there are any bird experts in the house. I have never seen anything like this. I guess it has a happy ending. The local game warden hooked us up with a lady that owns a bird sanctuary. I'm going to call the lady in a few days to check on the little guy. LOL The pet shop owner fed it baby goldfish. :D

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0448.jpg

By Joe!! It's a Yellowed Bellied Sap Sucker!!!!;)

You wouldn't be talking about Ed Norton right now would you?

Either your being serious, or that line made me think of the episode when Ralf and Ed are sitting on the park bench and hes bird spotting...

OR you are referring to a movie I haven't seen LOL

You wouldn't be talking about Ed Norton right now would you?

Either your being serious, or that line made me think of the episode when Ralf and Ed are sitting on the park bench and hes bird spotting...

OR you are referring to a movie I haven't seen LOL

Good memory Geno. I can pretty much recite every episode by heart. They don't make them like that anymore!

That looks like a baby Grey Heron to me. Don't think it is exotic or anything. When they grow up they grow a pair of white antenna on the back of their heads. Used to watch them and their litttle ones grow when I was a kid. They absolutely love rains especially Indian monsoons.

Thepopularjock is a saint. He spends most of his working life trying to help people and animals too! Good job Carl! Cute bird. is it really illegal? If so you might see if the Abilene Zoo can take it.

Brad

***UPDATE****

I got a call from the bird lady today and you guys are right:

IT'S A GREEN HERON

I had to do some reading but I guess it was not exotic at all. LOL It's just not usually around central Texas. :confused: LOL

Well the bird is doing fine. The lady who runs the place was very happy to have another addition to her family. She said that she will raise it until it's old enough to go on it's own and then release it.

WOW!
Those are pretty.
When I lived in San Marcos, Tx. we had a heard of wild parrots who would fly through the city. LOL They were HUGE birds!!!! It made for quite a sight to see the pack of birds flying overhead. Like most things - you get used to it if you see it enough times. Eventually no one even mentioned them when they flew by.

Back