Do Spark Plugs matter?

NoCal

Hi, I need to replace my plugs. Is it worth it to buy performance plugs (iridium, etc) or do standard quality plugs work just as well. I'm doing a lot of commuting and some twisties. Not a race bike. Thanks

In my experience, no. Your results may vary but what I understand is that the performance benefits are measured in fractions of horsepower most of the time for regular applications. The only time you may see measurable increases in power are when the old plugs are trashed or the current plugs are not in the correct range & etc.

The main advantage to Iridium plugs is extended life AFAIK. I bought some for the SV650 because they were a mere $6 each so I figured why not. Next time I'll probably go for the $2 each ones ;)

Last edited:
Iridium feel nice the day you buy them... but they lose flair after a while.

Normal plugs feel normal longer... and you know when to replace them.

I just did my first plug change at 12,550 miles and went with the OEM NGK plugs. I don't think you can go wrong with what the manufacturer recommends and at the rate of a change per year if you do 12,000 miles, as long as the plug meets the specs, you won't save or spend much either way. By the way, my bike has a PCIII and MIVV Suono can and a K&N filter and the plugs "looked" very good as far as color was concerned.

None of the other metals are as good at conducting electricity as copper. Only advantage of the Iridium (or platinum) is extended plug life as Dustin mentioned. And even if they gave you an extra hp or two I doubt very much that your butt dyno would know the difference, but your wallet certainly would ;)

id just go with the once that had the longest life as to what i hear it can be a pain in the @$$ to change them, Ill let you know when i change mine.

stick w the ngk's. some engines just dont need the iridium plugs.

Back