Do I need a reflash or additional module?

Noob question here: I just ordered a Yoshi R77 slip on for a 2012 FZ1. The can was really as much asthetic as for performance. I wanted something that sounds a little nicer and looks better than the atrocity that hangs off the side of my bike right now. Other than the K&N filter I put in, I have no other plans for performance mods. Do I need to do any computer work? I ride on the street, mainly normal road riding with flashes of agression here and there. I do plan on getting my bike on a track, but not for competition. This bike is way too fast to open up on the street, so I'd like to get it out for some lapping days and rip it up a bit. Will an ECU reflash or a separate module make enough of a difference to justify the cost?

An ecu reflash will be enough, for now. Your bike mid range will improve greatly.
I see you are planning to put a K&N filter, so it would be a good idea to do an airbox mode since it's free HP, and it will be an improvement for your bike. Other than that you might reconsider the flies mode, again this is roughly 40$ and it gives you along with the exhaust, air filter and airbox mode a great improvement over the stock bike.

you can search the forum for the mods I wrote down just to se the feedback from the other guy's, and I'm sure that you
will agree that they are worth it!!!

I've been reading and the reflash looks more attractive than a module. From what I can gather, the reflash does the same as a module and so much more? Am I on the right track here?
I am more or less wondering if my bike is going to run like crap if I run a pipe and K&N filter with no fuel control mods. I am getting low on cash, and the season just began. I'm hoping to make it to winter without pouring much more money in to parts. Also, I don't want to lay my bike up for 2-3 weeks of good weather while my ECU tours the continent in a box.

Look I've also modded the ECU and I got the same results as with the PCIII, so from mine point of view this is a good option to save a few hundred dollars. also the mods I've mentioned in the previous tread have been done almost by anyone on this forum and so far the results have been more than positive. So from mine point of view you can do the airbox mode yourself and purchase for 40$ the flies from copperdawn or ivan' performance. After that install everythimg on the bike and go to the nearest tune shop with a dyno table and get your stock ecu reflashed(modded).

Here the most expensive thing is getting the ecu reflashed so If I were you I would install all the parts before getting the ecu reflashed that way you are 100% certain to get the most out of your bike, while spending the minimum on a good tune.

I'm sure I will be glad when it's done, but do I NEED to get it done RIGHT AWAY, or is it something to put on my to do list? As I said, I don't really want my bike hanging around my garage with no ECU in prime riding weather. If I can hold off to winter it works better for me, but if it has to be done it has to be done.

Curious that you didn't go with the BMC filter....Yoshimura recommends that one, if you read the specs on their exhaust. Oh well.

I'm at this point inclinded to say that it is more a personal preference thing to reflash or get a PC, as long as the bike is not running too lean or rich. Each added mod can affect the performance....and such change may then require it. Mechanic friends of mine have agreed with this...

Maybe try out the bike with each added component and compare the contrast, one at a time. That is how I usually do things to see what is actually affecting the change. As I understand it, you want to gain better control of the fuel/air mixture that the ECU is involved with per stock, after you are adding after market items. If you get too lean that could be bad, obviously. But, many don't reflash or get a power commander, even when adding slip ons and new air filters... (But, a full exhaust system would necessitate absolute need to change ECU, I understand. Also, air box mod and/blocked AIS alters the airflow significantly, too). However, it appears that most do get a PC when they start these mods.

The more you modify the air coming in and altering the fuel being utilized, I think the more likely you will need to change the ECU. My mechanic told me I can "watch" it, for signs of being lean. He recommended getting a PC, but that it still might be "ok" with only a slip on and not altering the air box. Getting a PC is also the standard response, most places.

I am happy with my slip on and air filter. It is not too lean or rich. It runs great! If I went ahead and altered the air box or blocked off the AIS, I probably may need to do the PC. BUT, I enjoy the bike and can more than keep up with power on any road with others who have further mods. I've had people tell me how their bike is like "butter" now with their modded ECU, so certainly it sounds superior if you are prepared to fund it. Anything can be improved with $$, but is that improvement significant or not? [YES, if you dyno the bikes and compare them they will be different. But, what does that really mean to you as a rider? These aren't motoGP bikes...] But I'm happy with my performance and I can essentially do what I want out there riding, for now after over 10K miles since added slip on and BMC filter. Actually, for me the most noticable change/improvement was the BMC! OF course, like I said most do the PC and further mods. So, I am probably a minority voice here on the way I've done it. :)

And as always, I am still learning & open to it. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure I will be glad when it's done, but do I NEED to get it done RIGHT AWAY, or is it something to put on my to do list? As I said, I don't really want my bike hanging around my garage with no ECU in prime riding weather. If I can hold off to winter it works better for me, but if it has to be done it has to be done.

Short answer, from anecdotal reports is NO. Don't have to with slip on and air filter only. ;)

Just ride it,change your style of riding to suit the bike, get a feel for the bike first,a good rider on the stock bike will show just how fast these bikes are standard, come winter if you still want to do it, go for it,I know I sound a bit boring,it`s just my opinion

Last edited:
ECUnleashed flash is one of the best things you can do for your bikes efficiency. or, a power commander is the second best. if you dont mind your bike running like crap, then no, you dont need it tuned or flashed. but, every single stock bike that rolls off the showroom floor in america, needs to be tuned. all new bikes are regulated so hard it kills performance and efficiency

Back