Discussing FZ8 vs FZ1

That must mean the FZ8 shock is complete junk because the FZ1 shock is just barely adequate. Maybe Yamaha got a good deal on a batch of pogo sticks and fitted them to the FZ8 :rofl:

I'm assuming it's on par with the shock on my old FZ6, what a pile of crap.

It does make a good anchor however. :)

With the dough I lost upgrading from a 2 year old FZ6R to a new FZ1 plus naked conversion I could have bought an FZ1, done the conversion, and bought a CBR125 for my wife. Of well, I loved my 6R and am glad I got the chance to ride 20 000km on it. Now I look forward to hears of spending a small fortune modding my FZ1...

That must mean the FZ8 shock is complete junk because the FZ1 shock is just barely adequate. Maybe Yamaha got a good deal on a batch of pogo sticks and fitted them to the FZ8 :rofl:

Your 100% correct the rear shock on the FZ8 is a pogo stick. That is why I did what some of you guys did with Sataan's R1 shock upgrade option.

I could also go the same route with R1 forks like some of you guys too, but on the FZ8 I would need:

forks
wheel
front axel
front rotors
might as well do the brake system too.

I will just either rebuild the stock front end with race tec springs, valves, and oil or try and find some FZ1 forks and take the interals out of them. Then rebuild them and place them in my stock fork housing. That way I would at least have preload adjustment.

I am racing supermotos now and the FZ8 is just a great bike for me to ride on the street here in FL. The draw back is I am one of those guys that likes to upgrade things.

You should try a stock FZ6R... :banghead:

I wish I went for the FZ1 right away... With all the mod I put on the 6R I would have spend about the same price as buying a new FZ1.

Marthy I read a lot of your post on the sister fz6r site. My girl has a FZ6R because she liked the pink and black graphics on the pearl white 2009 model. By no means I am calling the fz6r a girls bike, so please don't think that at all.

What you have done to your bike and the exhaust options you have provided for that bike is just awesome.

I think all three bikes have their strong points and can be used to handle 95% of what streets can throw at you, just how well they handle it is the question you want your wallet should answer.

Your 100% correct the rear shock on the FZ8 is a pogo stick. That is why I did what some of you guys did with Sataan's R1 shock upgrade option.

I could also go the same route with R1 forks like some of you guys too, but on the FZ8 I would need:

forks
wheel
front axel
front rotors
might as well do the brake system too.

I will just either rebuild the stock front end with race tec springs, valves, and oil or try and find some FZ1 forks and take the interals out of them. Then rebuild them and place them in my stock fork housing. That way I would at least have preload adjustment.

I am racing supermotos now and the FZ8 is just a great bike for me to ride on the street here in FL. The draw back is I am one of those guys that likes to upgrade things.

The R1 parts are actually pretty cheap on FleaBay and the Forums. I'd guess between $350 and $500 you can get forks, calipers, axle, and MC.

If you do go with the R1 set up you should be able to use your front wheel. Check the p/ns between the FZ1 and FZ8, I bet they are the same.

BTW, the super moto looks like FUN! Post up some photos on another thread for everyone to see.

Fz8/fz1

Mate of mine bought new FZ8 a month ago,riding it just feels same as my FZ1. He still running it in, mine on dyno puts out 157bhp, his standard 106bhp. forks arn't ajustable, maybe power commander fitted later + a can give it bit more lift. :sport12:

It's all about how you want to ride. Almost any bike feels fast and fun.

I upgraded from my ninja 650 because I didn't like being on the highway without being able to get away from cagers in milliseconds. But if you are riding more twisty's raw power less important. Longer distances you will want that wind protection and hard bags. Are you going to have multiple bikes?

i think the FZ8 motor is a sleeved down FZ1 motor?..
if that is the case why on earth would you want the same size motor, heavier too with less power? baffling :eyebrow:

Marthy I read a lot of your post on the sister fz6r site. My girl has a FZ6R because she liked the pink and black graphics on the pearl white 2009 model. By no means I am calling the fz6r a girls bike, so please don't think that at all.

What you have done to your bike and the exhaust options you have provided for that bike is just awesome.

I think all three bikes have their strong points and can be used to handle 95% of what streets can throw at you, just how well they handle it is the question you want your wallet should answer.

Thanks Mate! I do enjoy helping the member and I never got the point of dropping over 1K for an exhaust for entry level bike.

Ya... looking back I did spend some $$$ on getting it right for me. I'm about to tune up the suspension now. Might just do the front end just to get a bit more support. Powerwise the bike is enough for what I need. PCV, exhaust and FZ6 cams made the bike quite fun to ride. Nothing like a liter bike for sure but way enough for street riding. Not like there's any nice twisties to enjoy over here...

I plan on owning only one bike.

I'm upgrading from a zundapp that I have in Portugal. For all of you who don't know, a zundapp is comparable to a naked motorcycle with the power of a scooter :embarrased:. Any upgrade will feel extremely fast.

I appreciate all your input and you are all just reinforcing my choice in getting a FZ1. Now if only I could find the right FZ1...

Last edited:
So what's the point of the FZ8?

Mate of mine bought new FZ8 a month ago,riding it just feels same as my FZ1. He still running it in, mine on dyno puts out 157bhp, his standard 106bhp. forks arn't ajustable, maybe power commander fitted later + a can give it bit more lift. :sport12:

My 08 FZ1 is my first bike. Yes, it can be a handful, but I can also just cruise around town if I want to stay around 3-4k rpm.

I still can't see the reason for an FZ8.

:wilynily:

Back