Disconnecting Speedometer

Rusty

Does anyone know if there are any issues with running the bike with the speedometer unplugged?
Apart from having no speedo and clocking up any miles does it cause any problems?

It will run without the intrument cluster attached. And contrary to popular belief, it still racks up the miles with it disconnected. The ECU is responsible for tracking the miles. The cluster is merely the messenger. ;)

Then I've wondered, would a new cluster show mileage specific to that bike? Or if you got a used cluster, the mileage driven by that bike (if it was higher/lower than your bike you installed it on??)

This ? stems from the "rehto" forum and the CL add for the limited edition Bee with only 544 miles....

When I stacked my 2004 Gixxer 750 trackbike, I smashed up my instrument cluster.
I bought another instrument cluster from EBay and it had lower klms.
I dunno if it's the same for the FZ1?

I found on a 07 Honda 919 that the ECU is in the cluster so when you buy a new one itll have zero miles. Knowing that the ECU is seprate from the cluster on the fz I would vernture to say the miles will stay the same with a new cluster.

Back