Digital speedometer not working

Fifty

I own a FZ1-S FAZER 2006 and I recently had to change the battery.
When installing the new one i connected the poles wrong way round.
The result was that the main fuse (50A) was blown.
I insisted but i guess electicity did not run towards the digital speedometer.
Finally i put it properly and the bike started working again as it should.
I noticed i had no digital display but my turn and light indicators were working properly.
The rev counter didnt seem to move at all as i was turning the key on.
A mechanic (not electrically qualified) said he tried my digital speedometer on another person's same model bike and it was not working at all, so he guessed the whole speedo is blown.
He said we had to try something like this, in order to specify whether its a relay ploblem or the speedo itself.
I also noticed that the intensity of the left light beam was not equal and similar to the right one as they normally are.
After a few small distance trips the beams finally mathed each other.
To my surprise as i was coming home the display started functioning perfectly for a day or so until it stopped again.
Then it worked once again switching on and off a couple of times when i was riding the bike until it finally stopped and has not worked again.
I have taken apart the speedo and today i cleaned it up internally, removing moisture and looking at the main connection to the wiring.
All seem ok and the main wiring that leads to the front wheel seems intact on the outside.
Any advice would be helpful, thanks a lot

It sounds to me like you did blow the Tach and maybe some of the other circuitry in the cluster. The fact that the 50 amp fuse blew is an indication that the system took a pretty good jolt from the reversed polarity you gave it by a backwards battery hookup. If it's at all possible, you could try puting a known good instrument in place of your suspect unit, if it works OK you better start looking for a used unit, maybe on Ebay.

Back