Did Magical Racing Screen Do This Melting to My Gauge?

Have just over 1K miles on the bike. Put Magical Racing screen on a couple hundred miles ago. Been on vacation last 2 weeks. Took short ride in Fort Worth hot sunny day just awhile ago, and noticed this when I got back. Didn't notice it earlier when I dusted off the bike.

If I keep this screen on the bike, will painting the underside black keep it from magnifying the sun? Thanks.

d7b48d46.jpg

Have just over 1K miles on the bike. Put Magical Racing screen on a couple hundred miles ago. Been on vacation last 2 weeks. Took short ride in Fort Worth hot sunny day just awhile ago, and noticed this when I got back. Didn't notice it earlier when I dusted off the bike.

If I keep this screen on the bike, will painting the underside black keep it from magnifying the sun? Thanks.

d7b48d46.jpg

Man! How friggin hot does it get there?!! Ouch! I would just spray a small enough section in Flat Black on the underside of the screen. That should stop it penetrating through to the gauges.

Yep, some screens come with a warning that they can cause melting of plastic instruments and such under the screen due to sun magnification. Your's is the first damage I've seen though.

Man i have heard of that happening but never actually seen it..yea its plenty hot here in DFW area......I rode today and it was plenty warm.....When i park in the sun i make sure which way the sun is pointing; you can tell if its a direct hit on the shield....just have to watch out for it....

Little off the subject here; when i rode today, i used a Fly Paradigm Full Face Helmet.....was really surprised at how good the ventilation was....but it was little noisy....

I've heard of this happening and some of the FZ6 riders have posted up the same with various screens. I'm glad I don't have a wind screen, just the Copperdog body panel now!

Yes that is probably from sun magnification and yes painting the inside of the screen will stop that from reoccurring. Try a satin or flat black. You may find the shine from gloss black distracting.

My magical racing screen came with a cover and a warning about sun magnification when the bike is parked.

wow, I have been silently blaming a douche bag ex member for this. looks just like what happened to my gauges. i have a zg double bubble. weird that it would react this way.

d7b48d46.jpg

If it is a Yamaha screen and you have warranty they will replace it. They replaced a couple forum members gauges on the fz6r forum from the factory and Yamaha double bubble doing the same thing. I ended up spraying the inside of mine with Plasti-dip.

Back