Devils Hwy Rt 191 AZ

Isleoman

Site Supporter

Saw this story and video clip (500 miles for pie). Watching is a good way to kill a little winter down time. Didn't realize you could take it from Mexico to Canada. Hopefully they've done something with the road surface. I know we have at least a few AZ members.

Theres another good route headed out of phoenix headed that way as well. Almost hit it during my rv trip but the weather was questionable. And not many free campspots.

Theres another good route headed out of phoenix headed that way as well. Almost hit it during my rv trip but the weather was questionable. And not many free campspots.
I'm supposed to visit my nephew this coming Nov. He lives in Mesa. It would be awesome if we got together and ride. My nephew Rodney has an fjr 1300. I want to get one.

I'm supposed to visit my nephew this coming Nov. He lives in Mesa. It would be awesome if we got together and ride. My nephew Rodney has an fjr 1300. I want to get one.
I wish i could correlate why soo many fz1 riders go to a fjr or tenere after their fz's. Or they have both.

I can sort of understand going to a tenere, but a tank of a fjr i dont understand. I dont think i could be comfy on a bike thats over 500 lbs. Actually, i know i wont be.

That said, my first bike weighed 370 lbs (rz350) and im tall/slender.

The tenere is pretty heavy also. For my advanced age I'm still pretty strong ..........but tall seat height makes dealing with heavy weight much more difficult. Mario's Gen 1 in the other thread is a nice lighweight alternative. I still don't have a use for bags 95% of the time.

I would say demonstrated reliability for the FJR. I had a Gen 1 FZ1 and now have had a Gen 2 for a number of years. 3 years ago I bought an FJR and have put 70K miles on top of the 63K it had when I bought it. In that time frame I have put about 23K miles on the FZ1. The FJR is a heavy bike but for long trips especially in windy conditions the weight is a bonus. 250+ miles on a tank of gas also aids in racking up miles!

I would say demonstrated reliability for the FJR. I had a Gen 1 FZ1 and now have had a Gen 2 for a number of years. 3 years ago I bought an FJR and have put 70K miles on top of the 63K it had when I bought it. In that time frame I have put about 23K miles on the FZ1. The FJR is a heavy bike but for long trips especially in windy conditions the weight is a bonus. 250+ miles on a tank of gas also aids in racking up miles!
Was just looking at FJR specs and seat height is reasonable at 32.5 with a way to lower to 31.7. Is yours a 5 or 6 speed? The latest ones have semi-active suspension. 250 mile range would be sweet. I need more garage space,

My wife has been having difficulties getting on and off the Gen 1. I try to get her to rise on left leg till vertical, then throw right leg over seat/tail. She starts throwing right leg while left knee is still bent.

I suspect (school me) that rear bags are even more difficult for short passengers, hows the FJR?

My FJR is a 2009 so is a 5 speed. 2016 was the first year for the 6 speed. So 2016 and on have the 6 speed transmission. Most people are reporting a little bit better gas mileage on the highway with the 6. The 5 is not bad at all though and is still running about 1K lower rpm on the highway than my FZ1. 2013 and on have cruise control standard.

I usually have the seat in the low position and can flat foot the bike. I only have a 32" inseam. My wife does not have too much trouble getting on and I almost always have the bags attached.

There's an FJR at a bike shop in California it has 18k miles they want a little over $4k for it. Forget the name of the bike shop but if anybody's interested I could find out

The fellow I got my bike from had an RG 500 some years back. That bike handled so well, I felt like I was on rails going through corners.
Thats one of 2 bikes on my bucket list currently. Going to set me back 25k. The other is a tdr250, full supermoto treatment with a slightly larger engine. Ive always been a 2t guy.

Back