Designer ideas needed, mounting a cane ...

Sometimes you just got'a ask someone else once you'v reached a standstill or mental block. Heres what I'm trying to come up with, and I believe I may not be the only one.... I have to use a cane to walk, there's just no getting around it, it's either that or a couple O'hip replacements...ukkk... So while I dont mind the cane, I do mind going for major cutting and re-build...lol.. I need to find a way to mount some sort of clamps that a cane would clip into that would mount on the bike. I'm looking at mounting it somewhere from the swingarm pivot area, and facing up and rearward up to the rear blinker area. It dosn't matter which side, infact the shifter side is less 'busy' due to the can so there might be more space available.

The other thoughts were along the fork legs, but room and space within the farring seems to preclude using that area, and then too the possability of some catastrophic event if it somehow came loose and entangled in the front wheel or brakes, so thats pretty well out. Also along the plane of the handlebars is no good as lock to lock may foul the turning and controls. So whats left is to run it along the same plane as the rear tailsection. I'm sort of out of ideas, well I'v envisioned a couple, but some sort of clamps are what are needed. The cane itself is about the same diamiter as my 7/8's handlebars, so the clamp would need to accomidate that diamiter of tubing which is pretty much standard cane diamiters.

I'm hoping some of you more inventive sorts might see something that I'm missing. I do believe that there are many more individuals out there in the same boat as I am, and find riding the best freedom around, but when we reach our destination while riding,....... find ourselves naked (cane)wise wishing we had been able to bring them with.

Don't they make a telescoping cane? Something tht would go from about 3-3 1/2 ft to about 14-16 inches With everything that folds or telescopes these days you'd think someone has done a cane.

A start

You were on the right track with following the tail section I think.Perhaps a couple of these: Quick Clamp - Mounts - Navigate & Communicate :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear and some wing nuts. Otherwise an adaptation of GPS or camera mounts:Bracket Bars Small Plate - Mounts - Navigate & Communicate :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear or:RAM Mounts - Mounts - Navigate & Communicate :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Just a few ideas that came to mind, The ram mounts are very versatile and if you left a couple of the ball sockets attached to the cane, then the other end of a brakets mounted on the bike ( one at the foot peg and the other by the fender) it would both secure and release quickly. This way it should be out of the way for you until you need it.
By the way, my Father-in-law had a hip replaced, once healed he had no further problems, but it is a scary thought. You would definately lose a riding season if you did.

oh... I've had to do this for a customer in the past.... take a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" piece of PVC about 3ft long... hook it onto the lower frame rail on the tail of the bike with a few 2-1/2" steel hose clamps. After attaching with hose clamps, drive a few small screws through the hose clamp into the PVC to keep it from sliding around.... put a cap on the bottom end of the PVC, but drill a hole in it to let water out.... For the top, I ran a strip of velcro around the top of the pipe, which allowed for a strip of velcro to be wrapped over the top of the cane, and then attach back to the piece at the top of the pipe.

It's looking like a lot of the options fast add up to a folding cane. The folder can go in a tank bag, tail bag, or just lay on the seat with a bungie net over it. ;)

I do like Lee's idea of the RAM mounts. a couple of the U-Bolts attached to the cane and two well placed balls on the bike then two short arms to tighten down. Good plan Oldschool!!! :tup:

Thank you Guys, I'm leaning towards the 'folder' though the aparatus VA described it more or less what I had envissioned. Boy it blows to be forced to travle everwhere with one, but without it it's a tough go, yep sort of like 'House'

Thank you Guys, I'm leaning towards the 'folder' though the aparatus VA described it more or less what I had envissioned. Boy it blows to be forced to travle everwhere with one, but without it it's a tough go, yep sort of like 'House'

At least you continue to ride your motorcycle and are not whining and bitching about how you can no longer do the things you used to do.

Good on ya for living life!

Rock on!

Back