Daytona Bike Week 2011

Wannabe

Daytona 2011 was all encompassing, from burn-outs to bar fights. Some of you may have read my introductory thread where I was stick in the back of an Escalade with my newly purchased FZ1 getting soaked on the back of a trailer. I pretty much dropped off the radar after we landed in Daytona.

I really wanted to burn through the break in period on the bike while I was in FL but with thousands of bikes clogging every road in and around the International Speedway, that just did not happen. Daytona, in my opinion, is heavily biased toward the pirate crowd. Is it really necessary to have over a dozen vendors in one parking lot selling black chaps and brain buckets? I did manage to find a vendor selling touring gear and got a good deal on a set of Oxford heated grips. The weather in Va is certainly not as nice today as it was in Fl.

Oxford Heated Grips by dbascent94, on Flickr

There was a restaurant right next to our hotel offering AUCE crab legs. I wasn't really in the mood and ordered the crab stuffed flounder, which was also delicious.

All you can eat by dbascent94, on Flickr

It is easy to forget there is an actual race during Bike Week.

Daytona 200 by dbascent94, on Flickr

Burnout by dbascent94, on Flickr

I have never done a burnout before. It looks fun but tires are expensive.

I am not much of a fan of small dogs. Both of my dogs are on the medium to large side of the scale, but it would be cool to be able to bring them on bike trips.

Cool Dog by dbascent94, on Flickr

This poor guy on the right bought this Gen 1 used a few days before and Daytona and dumped it on the beach. I offered some WD-40 to help clean up the chain but he refused. There was no damage to the bike but the sand had definitely gotten into places that it shouldn't.

Fizzy on the beach by dbascent94, on Flickr

I am not much of a car person and I have no idea what model this is but it was cool to see it on the beach outside our hotel.

Time Travel by dbascent94, on Flickr

Took my bike out for a quick solo run down the island and she turned 100 on the odometer right in front of this cool lighthouse.

Fizzy turns 100 by dbascent94, on Flickr

That is pretty much all the photos I am willing to share on the internet. The rest could upset world peace and dissolve marriages. Daytona was a blast. Thanks for reading.

I live about 30 mins from daytona. And bike week is actually about the only week I dont ride my bike. I go up for the festivites. I agree with you about the traffic its like how ironic that is bike week and people want to ride bikes, but all you do is sit on your bike at lights. I still love bike week, but just not a time I ride. All my friends think I am odd, because its about the only time I dont ride. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I am not much of a fan of small dogs. Both of my dogs are on the medium to large side of the scale, but it would be cool to be able to bring them on bike trips.

Wow!

Did you shake his hand?

That's Jay Springsteen! here's his bio in the motorcycling hall of fame
springer.jpg

I am embarrassed to say that I was unaware of his awesomeness. He seemed like a cool dude and I am always interested in dogs on bikes. Unfortunately, my racing knowledge doesn't extend much past MotoGP. Even that is dubious.

Great shots! There's a decent restaurant across from the lighthouse you pictured. I can't remember the name off hand but you eat in/on old boats on the deck. It was a regular locals hangout when I lived down that way in lat '90s early '00s.

DanD

I am pretty sure I rode past there and I tried to convince my buddies to go there for dinner. There was a restaurant right next to the hotel offering AUCE crab and that won out.

I am pretty sure the attached picture has the restaurant in question in the background.

Back