day running headlights gone out

What's the year of your bike? Any mods? Have you checked how many Amps your battery is putting out? Seriously, don't be afraid to give more details.. Information is king on here. Without it no one can help you

lights out

bike is a 56 model but high mileage as I ride 70 miles everyday!! checked all fuses and searched net wide and seems to be a fairly common problem on the r1,need simple assistance as am not very techy!

56 plated FZ1s,only mod is a two brothers can. Have looked around and this seems a fairly common problem, but I need a fix in simple terms as I am not good with electrics! Battery is fine as its put on an optimate every day. the bike is ridden 70 miles every day with some 80,000 miles on the clock!

80K? Thats a lot of miles.. When I got my Gen 1 the previous owner massacred the wiring loom. It took me a few months to trace and fix the issues. I had to get a wiring schematic and trace the faulty wires. It's fairly easy especially with the wires color coded. I also found the oil sensor wire arced.
Do some research on the web and pull the tank and side panels off for easy access. Check for burnt connectors, cracked, dirty or frayed wires and anything that might have come undone. Also check your relays for dirt and the battery terminals for corrosion.
If you have to repair some wiring make sure the battery is disconnected and that you use the proper gauge wire and proper connectors. If you solder wires do your research, get some shrink wrap, heat gun and take your time!
Like I said, it's fairly easy.
Get some Electronic Parts Cleaner to clean the connectors.

Motorcycle wiring basics LINK: Basic Wiring

Last edited:
Back