Cycleoneoff.com Lowering link and adjustable kickstand

RavenFZ1

I ordered a 2" lowering link and adjustable kickstand from cycleoneoff.com and from order to delivery it was about 3 weeks. I didn't think to take any pictures during installation, but really it's pretty straightforward. Below is a pic of the items out of the box. Upon initial inspection the items seem to be good quality, the FZ-1 inscription on the link is nice, although you can't really see it after installation.
The part of the installation that took the longest was removing the needle bearings from the stock link and pressing them into the new link as I do not have a mounted press. I had to get creative with a c-clamp and sockets to remove and reinsert the bearings. Currently I have it lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front, which seems to be working just fine. The only drawback I have noticed thusfar is that it takes more effort to raise the bike onto the centerstand. I have the adjustable kickstand as short as it will go and the bike seems to be stable... but I would feel more comfortable with it even shorter so I may grind it down a bit more to allow more range of adjustment.

Here are the steps involved in installing the link and kickstand(follow at your own risk, not my problem if you hurt yourself or your bike, etc.) These steps applied to my 2009 FZ1S, steps may vary slightly for other models:
-Place bike on centerstand (DO NOT USE A REAR STAND!!)
-Place 2x4 or other suitable object under tire
-Remove two 14mm bolts from the stock link/dogbone and pull the link out
-Remove dust seals from bearings in links using a flat head screwdriver
-Press needle bearings out of stock link
-Press needle bearings into new link
-Line up new link with the notch facing the rear shock and insert 14mm bolt and secure with loc-tite
-Have an assistant lift the rear tire until the 2nd 14mm bolt lines up with the link (or place shims under tire until at the right height if you don't have an assistant) and insert bolt and secure with loc-tite
-If you are installing an adjustable/shortened kickstand, this would be a good time to go ahead and do so... removal is simply removing the spring attached to the kickstand then removing the main bolt on which the kickstand pivots. Installation is reverse of removal.
-You may now remove anything from under the tire and lower the bike from the centerstand and place it on the kickstand, take note of the lean angle of the bike and adjust your kickstand as needed.

Now for lowering the front end:

It is your call how much you lower the front. Some people say to lower it half of what you lower the rear, some say to lower it equal to the rear, opinions vary on this. I chose to lower it half and I can always lower it more later if I so choose.
-Place bike on centerstand and put something sturdy like a gallon paint bucket under the headers to lift the front tire off the ground.
-Place something under the front tire for support such as a 2x4
-Loosen (do not remove) all allen head bolts on the fork clamps, 2 bolts per bottom clamp and 1 bolt per top clamp
-Push/lift forks up placing shims under tires until the forks protrude from the triple tree the desired amount
-Tighten bolts one side at a time making sure the forks protrude the same amount on both sides, after you have confirmed they are equal, torque all bolts to spec

Now you are ready to take a ride with your newly lowered bike! Be mindful of your reduced ground clearance and get a feel for how the bike handles as it will likely feel different.
daabbc8d.jpg

How about a profile pic of before and after? How much footing did you gain from this lowering?

Thanks for the write-up! :tup:

I'll try to remember to take some pics later, she definitely looks menacing in the lowered stance! I can now flatfoot even without shoes on (not that I would ride like this, just testing it in the garage). It really does make things more comfortable for backing up and on uneven or loose surfaces when you can solidly plant your feet on the ground. The bike feels more planted under hard acceleration, I just need to test everything out with a passenger on the bike and on my favorite roads to make sure no parts will be scraping and I'll be good to go! I'm keeping the stock link and kickstand in case I decide to swap back one day, but for now I'm enjoying it.

Wow! That really looks slammed and great! Nice work and glad to know it now "fits" you. I think you'll need to be careful of the clearance but also of the lean angle. Work into it slowly and test the waters carefully. ;)

Maybe I can convince the wife to step up to the FZ8 and slam THAT for her? :D

Wanted to note that my above statement is coming true.... but she's not getting the 8, she is getting an FZ1. There will be a VERY interesting thread coming soon about this! Stay tuned!! :D So, it looks like I will be ordering a lowering link for sure!

Wanted to note that my above statement is coming true.... but she's not getting the 8, she is getting an FZ1. There will be a VERY interesting thread coming soon about this! Stay tuned!! :D So, it looks like I will be ordering a lowering link for sure!

Awesome! I still may end up going back to stock ride-height one day, but it is nice being able to back up and walk over uneven/loose terrain without being on my tip-toes. I will probably end up ordering a spare set of needle bearings for the link so I can switch between the stock link and the lower link relatively quickly (the most time-consuming part of the install was pressing the bearings out of the stock link and into the lowering link).

I actually ended up ordering the Epic Lowering Link for a 1" - 3" drop. I plan on a 3" drop. I'm still uncertain about the kick stand though. The adjustable ones that I've found don't seem to go low enough for a 3" drop so I may have to take the stock stand and have it chopped and re-welded. She's going to be a liter Mama!!!

I actually ended up ordering the Epic Lowering Link for a 1" - 3" drop. I plan on a 3" drop. I'm still uncertain about the kick stand though. The adjustable ones that I've found don't seem to go low enough for a 3" drop so I may have to take the stock stand and have it chopped and re-welded. She's going to be a liter Mama!!!

Supporting what you have found about adjustable kickstands, I would not recommend the adjustable kickstand from cycleoneoff if you are dropping 3". With my bike lowered 2" and the kickstand adjusted as short as it will go, it still does not allow the bike to lean quite as much as I would like. Have fun with the build!

Wow, that sounds like quite a project. I've been steering my wife toward an FZ6R or FZ8 (or maybe a Ninja 650R) when she grows weary of the Ninja 250r. I don't think she'd ever want an FZ1, but it's not that much of a stretch from the FZ8 (I wish the FZ8 fazer was coming to North America too).

I could benefit from a lowered FZ1. I test rode a lowered red '06, but the FI issues with the '06 and the dealer's lack of a deal kept me from it. I'm not sure how far it was lowered. Maybe 1-2 inches. With 3" of fork sticking up, you might go for clipon bars and still be upright... LOL. Are there safety issues with that much fork sticking up? I guess if they are lower than the bars it would still be ok.

I'll be following this build.

That's a nice looking kit. I lowered mine about 1.5" with one of those adjustable turnbuckle links (forgot the brand name!). But I still have the stock side stand, which is next-to unusable right now :disturbed so I can only lower it a small amount.

Anyway, I'm looking for an adjustable stand before I can go any lower with the rear or front.

Still don't have a lot of seat time with it lowered, so I can't comment on handling but I agree with you though, that I like being able to move the bike around while sitting on it. I'm 5'10" and before lowering, I always just got off the bike to move it around :)

Brad, while I drop the rear 3", I'll likely only put 1.75" to 2" of fork up through the triples. She's not an aggressive rider and certainly not a carver so she would rather have it handle better on the straights and corner well, not fall in like mine. :D

So, I got a refund this morning for the Epic link from RockHeadBikes.com because Epic discontinued that link and it is no longer available. I've asked them if they have another manufacturer with a 3" lowered link and am waiting for a reply.

I will be posting pics along the way, maybe some new how-to's and results as they happen. :tup:

So, I'm on the hunt for another lowering link that won't break the bank! :( Has anyone had any experience with the adjustable PSR (expensive) link or the Street Bikes Unlimited adjustable link? Both can be seen here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...e-Suspension-Parts-2007-Yamaha-FZ1-Parts.aspx I thought someone here had tried one of these but had negative feedback on it. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Well, I found the Epic link on another site so I'm trying that route one more time. Turns out that the Motorcycle-Superstore only has the expensive PR link in stock.

Back