cutting down silencer

reignman

Do you guys think that shortening the silencer in my yoshimura trc will make it quiter
than no silencer but louder than the full silencer? I love the trc but if I'm on a long cruise I start to feel like I have water in my ears. But the silencer almost kills the deep rumble at idle. Trying to find a good compromise

give a try! you can always buy new/used one on ebay.

That is a good idea.

In theory - it should work. LOL Sometimes those are famous last words. :deal:

Let us know if you do it. I'm interested in the outcome. I honestly don't think you will be able to tell THAT MUCH of a difference if you cut the silencer down but who knows?
Do you ride with earplugs?

That is a good idea.

In theory - it should work. LOL Sometimes those are famous last words. :deal:

Let us know if you do it. I'm interested in the outcome. I honestly don't think you will be able to tell THAT MUCH of a difference if you cut the silencer down but who knows?
Do you ride with earplugs?

lol thats what i figured it sounded like a good idea (no pun intended lol) and i dont have much to lose. ill probably do it in the next couple days.

no i dont ride with ear plugs but sometimes headphones if im away from traffic.

i just dont like being that obnoxious biker but i dont want to sacrifice all the sound

I have the TRC with the DB killer installed. I know exactly what your talking about. In order to have the deep idle tone and not be too loud, you need a large volume slip-on. Before you cut the TRC down, consider adding holes to the DB killer. The more holes you add, the louder it will be and it's less expensive to replace.

You should consider earplugs. Just twenty minutes at highway speeds without earplugs is guaranteed permanent hearing loss

jeez maybe i should consider some ear plugs then. although i'm sure plenty of damage is already done.

I have the TRC with the DB killer installed. I know exactly what your talking about. In order to have the deep idle tone and not be too loud, you need a large volume slip-on. Before you cut the TRC down, consider adding holes to the DB killer. The more holes you add, the louder it will be and it's less expensive to replace.

maybe you misunderstood me. i dont want to cut down the exhaust itself just the db silencer. didnt think about just drilling holes in it though good idea. it would accomplish the same thing either way i think

maybe i'm confusing people calling it a silencer. i mean the db killer insert. after some more research i found a couple people who shortened it and had some success. ill post once i do it

The TRC can is availabvle in 12, 14 and 16 inch lengths. I have the 12 inch version and without the DB killer, it's just too loud for me. With the DB killer, it's just right. I will likely replace the TRC can with a larger volume R77 in the future.

The TRC can is availabvle in 12, 14 and 16 inch lengths. I have the 12 inch version and without the DB killer, it's just too loud for me. With the DB killer, it's just right. I will likely replace the TRC can with a larger volume R77 in the future.

i'll have to measure when i get home but i want to say mines the 12 too. excuse me for being a noob but how does more volume change the sound? i would assume deeper sound?

forgot to report back after cutting it down. i made it about half the length of original. it definitely worked. not as quiet as the full silencer but not as loud as no silencer at all

I don't plan on taking the DB killer in and out all the time I just wanted it to be little louder than it was with the full stock piece in there

Back