custom backrest

ewertkyle

looks kinda ridiculous but itd sturdy and bolts on in about 15mins. My wife and I are planning a long trip to the grand canyon this summer and she wanted a backrest so she got it! used 3/4" square tubing, some flat stock, my stock seat cut down, and some ss bolts, nuts and washers. I plan on attaching a back pack or something right behind the seat for even more storage. This is totally function over form, but let me know what you guys think. Also sorry about the crappy cell phone quality pics

with bags
2013-03-22_22-51-27_99_zpsc7bbccb3.jpg

just the rest
2013-03-22_22-36-46_262_zps99227caa.jpg

behind the seat, its adjustable at the top about 1.75"
backrest_zps33c5615f.jpg

another view, the seat looks a little lumpy at the top where I cut it down, but you cant feel it
2013-03-22_22-55-22_336_zps364a0d05.jpg

I also plan on adding a gel pad for her seat and/or a seat cover for a little extra comfort. I will probably eventually save up for a matching corbin passenger seat w/ back rest but thats alot of $ for somthing Ill rarely use

I would check those hand tightened cross-nuts. They could easily vibrate loose.

The concept is good, but might be more appropriate for a Super Tenere'.

Under the fender washer are rubber washers and one side has lock washers too, just had them and they fit but ill probably adjust it where she's comfy and tighten in some nylock nuts like everywhere else

It was cheap to make, and I'll probably only use it for this 1 trip, having 3 kids under the age of 5 we both don't get away very much and if we do its not for a long trip Clarion got much luggage. In the future I plan on getting a top case is well but for now this will work

While it isn't much for looks, it certainly does the job! Way to think outside the box. :tup: I think you can refine this and make it something that looks good too. Love ingenuity!

What a brilliant design! It's funny looking, but functional.

For that trip are you going to use a windscreen? WI to AZ and back is one very long ride.

We are driving to denver with bike on trailer , then driving through mountains to the grand canyon. Only about 15000miles round trip but no windshield

We are driving to denver with bike on trailer , then driving through mountains to the grand canyon. Only about 15000miles round trip but no windshield

Oooo, I did Denver to PHX in my GS1100Ex twice. Once by myself, and once two up. The second leg was on to LA. The speed limit was only 55mph back then so wind blast was not an issue. At 75+ it may be today.

Food for thought.

As far as windshields on nakeds go what r u thinking? I know we are avoiding most of the freeways and taking our time. Ive done 500+ mile trips solo with out much of a problem

Back