cruising in 2nd gear at 3500rpm (31 mph)

cruising in 2nd gear at 3500rpm (31 mph) bad for engine?

is cruising like this bad for the engine. I ask this because the temperature stays between 95 degrees C and 100, the fan kicks in at 100 until the temp is back down to 91: but then it climbs back up to 100 and repeats maybe 3 times in one hour of commuting. Is this sustainable for the bike or should I cruise in a higher gear at a lower rpm range?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad. However, for the sake of engine longevity and fuel economy it wouldn't hurt to shift up to 3rd gear if you're just cruising on relatively flat ground at a steady speed.

I **REGULARLY** cruise around at 3k+ rpm.... don't worry about bad for the bike... the bike will take care of itself... it'll turn the fan on when it gets hot... it'll open the thermostat... it'll do what it needs to do... don't worry until it stats dropping coolant out of the overflow.... that said, no need to cruise around at 12,000 RPM all day.

You didn't mention what the air temp. was, but if the fan is coming on and off it probably wouldn't hurt to kick up a notch to 3rd. Unless you really need the extra torque that 3500 RPM gives you at that speed, you might as well give the engine and cooling system a break. I would't say you're hurting the engine but you aren't doing it any favors either.:rmwl:

What bike do you have? My fans don't kick in till like 212f.

I wouldn't worry about hurting the bike, though.

Me to,
30mph or 60kph 3 or 4th gear. As long as the bike feels and sound ok. Would not pull away in a higher gear though, I have no problems just under 3 grand and just over 3 grand it hits a sweet note.

What is your air intake temp? hit the reset button quickly while the bike is on and it will show air intake temp instead of engine temp,
ive seen mine at 38deg, it can have effect on engine temp overall. Dont worry untill it hits 130deg. then you need to pull over. thats what the book says.

Last edited:
Back