Crossplane triple is now a reality

On the previous thread, one of the links was to an article describing their plans. yamaha have already put a trademark on the CP3 (crossplane three), CP2 (crossplane two) and CP4 (crossplane four) for their engines. they were saying that they sounded like Starwars robots more than engines. It is also only one of a few manufacturers who have named their engines like Ducati with desmocedici etc.

I think the larger displacement engines will be cross plane fours (1000 & up) while the smaller engines will be two cylinders (600 & down), leaving the mid range 750 - 850 range in the triples.

There is a lot of info on the old thread if you have the time to go through & read all the links.

On the previous thread, one of the links was to an article describing their plans. yamaha have already put a trademark on the CP3 (crossplane three), CP2 (crossplane two) and CP4 (crossplane four) for their engines. they were saying that they sounded like Starwars robots more than engines. It is also only one of a few manufacturers who have named their engines like Ducati with desmocedici etc.

I think the larger displacement engines will be cross plane fours (1000 & up) while the smaller engines will be two cylinders (600 & down), leaving the mid range 750 - 850 range in the triples.

There is a lot of info on the old thread if you have the time to go through & read all the links.

Maybe but I doubt it. The crossplane 4 has been around for a while in the R1 ( old news ) I suspect they are going to have some 1000cc and over triples. Hence the introduction of the new triple and all the hype. Probably the first of many triples to come over the next few years.

The rumor is Yamaha has been lobbying World Super Bike for a 1100cc rule for triples :)

Last edited:

Nope wont have that engine, its a few years old and based on a FJR1300 with a cylinder missing. Even shares some parts with the FJR engine. They wont be betting future motorcycle sales on a dated snowmobile engine that's based on a touring street bike.

" Yamaha has plenty of experience with three-cylinder engines. On the motorcycle side, the company manufactured the XS750 and XS850 in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. More recently, its Nytro line of snow machines utilizes three-cylinder four-stroke engines. Introduced several years ago, the Nytro Genesis engine is essentially three FJR1300 cylinders on a 120-degree crank, even sharing some parts with the sport-touring machine. "

Last edited:
FZ9 Crank

Someone in Yamaha US marketing must be pretty stupid. They are stating that the FZ9 will have a cross plane crank AND an even firing interval. At three cylinder 4 stroke engine cannot have an even firing order unless the crank throws are at 120 degree separation. The European reviews are saying the bike has a 120 crank, which makes sense, especially with a balancer shaft running at engine speed (like Triumphs, etc.). I believe they are incorrectly calling it "cross-plane" like the R1 just to sell bikes. I think most people think of cross-plane as 90 deg. separation of crank pins on the 4 cyl. bikes. My friendly Yamaha dealer says the cross-plane R1's vibrate more than the old R1 & FZ1 motors. As an engineer, that makes sense to me. A cross-plane 3 could be a bad vibrator. The Tenere cross-plane crank twin, has a firing interval like a 90 degree V-twin. The new Norton is very similar. I'm not real certain how well they are balanced for vibration but cannot be worse than a 360 degree twin.
Come on Yamaha, don't treat us like we are stupid.
:retard:

I have a feeling Yamaha will sell a million of these. The new Star Bolt and Bolt R's a flying out the doors. If the FZ9 does the same thing I suspect we'll see some really cool Yamaha's this season and next.

A revamped R1 is really need to compete with the Euro liter bikes, and I'd love to see a triple R6. The current R6 is red hot, and the 600 SS bike for the track, but a 675 3 really appeals to me.

Go Yamaha!!!

Someone in Yamaha US marketing must be pretty stupid. They are stating that the FZ9 will have a cross plane crank AND an even firing interval. At three cylinder 4 stroke engine cannot have an even firing order unless the crank throws are at 120 degree separation. The European reviews are saying the bike has a 120 crank, which makes sense, especially with a balancer shaft running at engine speed (like Triumphs, etc.). I believe they are incorrectly calling it "cross-plane" like the R1 just to sell bikes. I think most people think of cross-plane as 90 deg. separation of crank pins on the 4 cyl. bikes. My friendly Yamaha dealer says the cross-plane R1's vibrate more than the old R1 & FZ1 motors. As an engineer, that makes sense to me. A cross-plane 3 could be a bad vibrator. The Tenere cross-plane crank twin, has a firing interval like a 90 degree V-twin. The new Norton is very similar. I'm not real certain how well they are balanced for vibration but cannot be worse than a 360 degree twin.
Come on Yamaha, don't treat us like we are stupid.
:retard:

Don't sweat it engineer. (Why do engineers always say, "As an engineer?" I never state my profession when explaining something.)

Yamaha has made 120 degree triples for almost 10 years back in the 70's and early 80's. They were noted as "smooth" motors then. More so than the XS1100, an evenly spaced crank.

"Crossplane" is a branding from Yamaha marketing.

Instead of assuming, go ride one, "engineer."

Finally, most MotoGP bikes are "crossplane."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CILvXMartA]Yamaha YZF-R1 2009 Cross Plane crankshaft - YouTube[/ame]

I would love tohear a a 3 cylinder crossplane would sound but Im still out of luck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN6awpuJ6Fo]2014 new Yamaha MT-09 (3 cylinder CP3 engine) studio & technical details photo compilation - YouTube[/ame]

Why You Want The 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Man this bike is cool. I wish they were also announcing a new FZ1 for this year, I would consider buying one for sure.

I love the naked look, but I think the half fairing with a windscreen is a must for my daily freeway commute at 80mph.

I have not ridden a naked bike at those speeds, but I can only guess it is not comfortable for 30 miles.

Yamaha YZF-R1 2009 Cross Plane crankshaft - YouTube

I would love tohear a a 3 cylinder crossplane would sound but Im still out of luck.

How about this? Low quality, but you can hear it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Nc16nULEE]New Yamaha MT09 2014 intro - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another video from the same place (slightly different angle? different phone/camera?) that is available in 1080p (it improves the sound, not just picture)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU_PXDjdd90"]Yamaha MT09 (Sneak Preview, Reving) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I have a feeling Yamaha will sell a million of these. The new Star Bolt and Bolt R's a flying out the doors. If the FZ9 does the same thing I suspect we'll see some really cool Yamaha's this season and next.

I got to test ride the Bolt recently and it's a lot of bike for $7990. Really liked the styling, but the ride was not great due to the limited rear suspension travel.

If the FZ-9 comes in at under $8k like expected it should sell well. I'm looking forward to a test ride next year :D

$7990????

I can't BELIEVE how cheap these bikes are in the US. A fully registered 2012-model FZ1-N will cost you $35000 in Norway....God help us.

/E

I can't BELIEVE how cheap these bikes are in the US. A fully registered 2012-model FZ1-N will cost you $35000 in Norway....God help us.

/E

I bought my 06 3 years ago for $3500. You are really paying 10 times that much in your part of the world for essentially the same bike (albeit new and naked)?? Damn!

2014 new Yamaha MT-09 (3 cylinder CP3 engine) studio & technical details photo compilation - YouTube

Why You Want The 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Man this bike is cool. I wish they were also announcing a new FZ1 for this year, I would consider buying one for sure.

I love the naked look, but I think the half fairing with a windscreen is a must for my daily freeway commute at 80mph.

I have not ridden a naked bike at those speeds, but I can only guess it is not comfortable for 30 miles.

I ride a naked. Not an issue at those speeds. I ride all day and love it.

Naked is only real bike ;)

Last weekend spend two tanks of fuel rushing on highway. FZ1N headlight and speedo is so well built that blows all the wind away and you can go easy on 200km/h :waiting:

I bought my 06 3 years ago for $3500. You are really paying 10 times that much in your part of the world for essentially the same bike (albeit new and naked)?? Damn!

Yep, I'm afraid we do. Two thirds is Norwegian taxes, of course, this being the land of taxes. I'll control myself before I start ranting here :rant:, the money we pay is spent on very important social welfare...at least partly. The rest is spent on bureaucratic processess, for example the tax system.....

Back